Chapter VI

Disclaimer: - see chapter one –

Author’s Note: Sorry for the update delay. This chapter’s been giving me quite a lot of problems, but four drafts later of this chapter I think this one is the one – I hope! Thanks for your patience and do keep on reading this story as well as voting. Comments/critiques are welcome & appreciated as well.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

VI.

WHERE DID YOU DISAPPEAR TO?” Stefan asked the moment he heard his brother enter the Manor. He poured bourbon in another old fashioned glass he had at the ready just in case unexpected company arrived. Dominic grabbed it on his way to one of the two winged back chairs with matching ottoman footrest set in front of the large fireplace set in the center of the library, posing as the divider to the floor to ceiling sized windows that lined one part of the room that offered extra light during summer time.

            Stefan waited for an answer. When he heard none he frowned at the direction of his brother and noted that Dominic was sitting on the wrong winged back chair (they each have a preferred chair) for starters; secondly, Dominic appeared lost in thought as he stared at the flames leaping behind the grate.

            “Something wrong, brother?” Stefan inquired and made his way towards the other chair.

            “Hm?” Dominic mumbled, but his eyes were still fixed on the fire, the drink in his hand forgotten.

            “You’re wasting a good glass of nine-year-old bourbon there, brother mine,” Stefan continued.

            Dominic removed his gaze from the fire to stare at the glass filled with the dark liquid in his hand. He seemed to contemplate on what to do with it for a second before throwing the entire contents back. He placed the now empty old fashioned glass on the small round side table that was situated between the two chairs and sat back. He still haven’t said a word nor acknowledged Stefan’s presence.

            Stefan watched his brother’s odd behavior and has had enough of his brooding silence. Dominic might deny the fact that he was brooding, but it was obvious that he was and whatever caused him to get to this stage, Stefan wanted to know and be dealt with before Dominic spiraled out of control even more.

            “Dom, what happened?” Stefan asked, his voice gone deadly serious as he watched his older brother closely. “Dom? Dom!” It was only when Stefan raised his voice did he manage to break whatever trance his brother was in.

            “Huh?” Dominic still looked like he was in a haze, but he was starting to focus on Stefan instead of whatever it was he was thinking about.

            “Jesus, Dominic, I’ve been blabbering like an idiot here and you’re not even paying attention!”

            “S-sorry,” Dominic apologized. “I just got a lot on my mind,” he admitted.

            “I knew that,” Stefan muttered and threw back the rest of his drink before placing his empty glass on the round side table as well. “Care to share?” he prodded.

            “Not yet,” was Dominic’s quick reply.

            Stefan’s brow shot up when he heard his brother’s quick reply. Usually Dominic would let a heartbeat or two pass before answering, but this time he didn’t let any pass. Whatever it was Dominic was pondering about it wasn’t something that could easily be shrugged off. He wanted to help, but he knew Dominic would refuse his offer. Stefan didn’t like going behind his brother’s back, but unless Dominic outright asked him for help, Stefan wanted to do some investigating of his own and gather his own intel in case the need arose.