Chapter 6: Making Drama Out of Nothing

Making drama out of nothing

I absolutely hate stories where they make drama out of absolutely nothing.

Here's a quick example.(This is inspired by the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.)

'2 guys, Guy 1 and Guy A, get robbed and the thief punches Guy A giving him a bloody eye. Guy A is quickly escorted to the hospital in time for his vision to be saved. Then this is the part that really throws me off: Guy 1 starts whining and complain about how the justice system is so unfair to allow a robber out of jail in 15 years despite Guy A's protest that he feels fine.

See where there is unnecessary drama? Guy 1 is venting about an injury that Guy A doesn't care about. Allow me to give you another example.

There's a story on Wattpad (that I will not name because I don't need more drama in my life) that has an incredible amount of stupid drama. It started off okay but then it became like a freaking episode of 'Days of Our Lives.'

It's about a highschool girl that starts dating a single teenage daddy. Whenever she and the baby daddy go out in town people look at them and she starts spout BS about people shouldn't judge just because he "made a mistake". But when her boyfriend's baby mama returns, begging to be a part of her baby's life, the baby daddy and the girl say it is completely impossible and illogical for the baby's biological mother to ever see her. So this 'super-calm' girl gives the  baby mama a mega-slap while the 'violent' baby mama does nothing in response. (Misplaced Labels.)

Then later when the baby-mama accidentally squeezes Cece's arm too hard and she gets a bruise because of her incredible sensitive skin, the couple somehow think this is an assault and battery case and report to the town sheriff even though the baby-daddy's girlfriend has already committed an assault and battery charge again the baby-mama, except the baby mama isn't a drama queen and she hasn't reported it. Then after the couple swears, has sex multiple time, does a bunch of creepy thing, says incredibly cheesy statements, and hands over the actual responsibility of raising a child to their parents; they say that they don't want the baby "hanging around someone like" the baby mama that's begging to be a part of her child's life.

What figuratively kills me is that such a story has over a thousand votes and all the comments are kiss-up comments saying, "I totally agree that baby-mama is evil." "I wish the baby-mama would die."

Oh. My. Goodness. The couple is making drama out of nothing! It can not be impossible to share custody of a baby. It can be a bit painful to have to share your baby and not see it 24/7, but the baby's biological mother would never hurt the baby on purpose. They did not need to file an assault and battery charge just because some super-pale girl bruises easily.

So when authors write some drama in their story, it should not be tasteless, irrelevant, stupid drama. Two characters hating each other over a slice of a cheese is ridiculous. Two character hating each other because they're competing for a kingdom is far more reasonable.

Things should be tense in the story when a girl catches her best friend forcing herself with her boyfriend. Things becoming tense because your best friend smiles politely at your boyfriend is a joke.

Why would you ever create a heated, violent rivalry just because someone helped your friend better than you could when your best friend collapsed and was on the verge of paralysis/ I kid you not, I have seen something like that before.

So why don't you observe actual life and find out how regular, non-bipolar people respond to certain situations.