#imagine for @EmmaTWParker

Tom sat nervously on his desk chair, toying with the engagement ring in his finger. Was this really the right move, he thought. He looked at the ring, adorning in the centre was beautiful diamond stone with a white gold band securing it safely. He didn’t know how or when but he just knew that he had to ask her, even if she said no.

She was due back home any minute now, so he put the ring back safely in the box and then into his back pocket. He had the guitar at the ready and his voice was warmed up and ready to be used. This is it, he thought as he heard the doorbell ring twice. “Coming,” he yelled as he ran to the door to open it.

“Sorry I’m late babe,” Emma said with a smile, “Work was hectic today,” she sighed and entered their apartment. She put her bag down on the table and fell backward onto the couch, “I could do with a foot rub Tom,” she giggled as she kicked off her heels. Tom chuckled and sat down next to her, his heart beat racing faster than the clock.

He held her foot in his hand and pressed down slowly, soothing her aching feet. “What’s up?” she asked noticing his tense features and darting eyes. “Nothing babe, just happy that you’re home,” he said putting her feet down. “Should we order some pizza?” she asked grabbing the phone.

“Sure,” he said walking to the fridge and getting out a bottle of wine, “I’ll have pepperoni and cheese,” he said picking up two wine glasses from the cupboard. “Wine with pizza?” she giggled as he set down the glasses and poured the red liquid in. “Just giving tonight a reason to be special,” he said clinking his glass with hers, “Cheers.”

Emma knew something was up. Tom never had wine with pizza. Ever. So why now? Why the sudden urge to have really expensive liquor with pizza that costs less than twenty pounds. She raised her eyebrow but went along with it anyway, “Cheers,” she said before taking a sip.

“So have you guys decided on the tour dates yet?” Emma asked as she turned the TV channel to show an old episode of Friends. “Not yet,” Tom said taking a huge bite of his pizza, “But the boys and I think by the end of the week we should have some rough tour dates,” he said as he looked onto the TV.

Emma giggled at her boyfriend’s manner; eating like a pig but still managing to hold a full conversation with another person with a mouthful of food. “Well Dylan thinks that there might be a promotion heading my way,” she said with a smile. Tom finished his slice and grinned wide.

“That’s amazing news babe!” he said as he pulled her in for a hug. She smiled as they let go and sipped the remnants in her wine glass. “I don’t Tom,” she confessed, “With you going on tour and me being at work for twenty four hours … I think I may need to invest in a cat,” she giggled as Tom turned the volume of the TV down.

“Don’t go all crazy cat lady on me babe!” he joked as he closed the pizza box and pushed it aside. He wondered if he should pop the question now or wait a little while. “I won’t, I promise. But still, what if I become all lonely and depressed?” she asked pouting a little. Tom knew his girlfriend better.

She was the optimist in his life, she would never let herself get depressed because she’d find another way to get through adversity. “You know yourself better babe,” he re-assured, “You wouldn’t let yourself down like that. I know that and you know that,” he said kissing her cheek.

She sighed and stretched her legs out on the couch before yawning, “I think I’m gonna go sleep,” she said starting to get up. Tom cleared his throat and pushed her back down, “Just wait a minute,” he said getting up, “I need to show you something.” Tom rushed to the bedroom and took a deep breath. This was it.

He checked for the ring and grabbed his guitar and made his way back to the living room. “What’s all this?” she asked sitting upright, wondering why he had a guitar in his hand. “I needed to play something for you,” he said with a smile. On the outside he seemed calm but on the inside he was so nervous.

He cleared his throat and strummed the strings, making uneasy chords. It’s a beautiful night, I’m looking for something dumb to do - hey baby, I think I wanna marry you he sang with a smile. Emma finally realized it. The odd behavior and the wine with the pizza all boiled down to this.

Is it the look in your eyes? Or is it this dancing juice? he sang as he looked at the wine, who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you his fingers moved the strings in the beat of the song, recreating Bruno Mars’ song. Emma had her hands to her chest, crossing her heart as tears formed in her eyes.

Well I know this little chapel on the boulevard we can go, no one will know, Oh come on girl he sang with a smile. Emma giggled as she watched him sing. Who cares if we’re trashed, got a pocket full of cash we can blow … shots of patron, and it’s on girl! he stopped the stumming and took her hands in his.

Don’t say no no no no no … just say yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, and we’ll go go go go go - if you’re ready like I’m ready Tom spun her around as he sang the lyrics getting to the chorus. ‘Cos it’s a beautiful night, we’re looking for something dumb to do … hey baby, I think I wanna marry you!

Emma brought her hands to her mouth, hiding the shock and delight behind her calm exterior. Is it the look in your eyes? Or is it this dancing juice? Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you! Tom said getting down on one knee. He knew he still had a verse to go but he just wanted to ask her.

Skipping to the bridge, he grabbed the white box from inside his back pocket. Just say I do, tell me right now baby … tell me right now baby, baby he sang as he opened the box revealing the ring. Tell me right now baby … tell me right now baby, baby. It’s a beautiful night, we’re looking for something dumb to do … hey baby, I think I wanna marry you.

Taking a deep breath in, he smiled and looked up at her, her left hand in his. “Emma, would you do me the great honor of being my wife?” he asked with a chuckle. She laughed and nodded as tears streamed down her face, “Yes I will,” she managed as Tom slid the ring on her ring finger and cupped her face.

Wrapping her arms around his neck, she pressed her lips onto his as she laughed into their kiss. “That was wonderful Tom,” she whispered pecking his cheek. “You’re wonderful,” he chuckled as he carried her to the bedroom.

He put her down gently on the bed and kissed her lips. “So what now?” he asked lying next to her. She giggled and rolled onto her side, “We’ve got a wedding to plan!” she said clapping her hands.