15: sexy grandmas

their blissful moment was rudely interrupted by a half-drunk ashton, who had stumbled over to them with a plastic red cup in one hand.

"duuuuuude," ashton slurred, hitting the sand next to michael as he took a seat. "i'm soooooo drunk right now."

"i can tell," michael replied, prying the cup out of ashton's hands. "i think you're good enough for tonight."

ashton pouted, and even when he was drunk he still managed to look adorable. "but i want moooore. alcohol is good for the soul."

devon couldn't contain her laughter any longer as she doubled over, clutching her side as she gasped for air. "he sounds so spiritual. reminds me of my grandma on crack."

"is your grandma hot?" ashton asked hopefully, and michael fought back a smile.

"oh, yeah. she's a pretty sexy grandma. and i hear michael has a sexy grandma too. isn't that right?"

"yup. works a pole like a stripper whose rent is due tomorrow."

and it seemed as if, for just a moment, that the three of them were friends. as if there were no complications. as if one of them didn't drive 1,000 miles to see the girl he loves and two of them were secretly in love with each other. as if the two males didn't hate each other. as if.

sighing, michael stood up, brushing the sand off his butt. devon copied his actions and together they hauled a groaning ashton to his feet. "party's over, ash."

"but it's only, like, 9 o'clock," ashton whined, stomping his feet with every step he took. "barely past my bedtime."

they led ashton around the commotion of the party, ignoring various yells they heard. taking a cab to the the hotel, they tucked ashton into bed like a child before collapsing onto the other bed. soon enough, his snoring could be heard loud and clear.

"it's like taking care of a damn five-year-old." devon rubbed her eyes, careful not to smudge her makeup. "we didn't even have time to enjoy the party."

"well," michael started, giving her a sly grin. "who says we ran out of time?"

devon gave him a puzzled look before the realization came across her. "but ashton - "

"forget ashton. he might've brought us here, but i want to spend time with you too. alone. this is like our first unofficial family vacation," he joked, winking at her.

she giggled before nodding. "let's go party, shall we?"

and party, they did. making sure ashton was fully asleep and leaving a note on the other bed, the couple walked the half mile to the beach, where the party was still in full blast.

at this point, it was close to 11 pm, and people were busy taking body shots off of one another. devon and michael tried to steer clear of these kinds of crowds, drifting more towards the sea of people dancing to the loud music.

"now what?" michael yelled over the music, grabbing devon's hands and doing some funny, off-beat dance.

"now dance, fucker, dance." devon laughed at her reference as she pulled michael's body close. so close, in fact, that the space between them seemed to evaporate.

as if on cue, the bass stopped and the dj spoke into a microphone that no one knew he even had. "we're gonna slow things down. give those couples a chance to shine."

with that, a slow track started playing, one that michael was very familiar with. couples started congregating together as those who were single moved to the side. the whole atmosphere of the party seemed to change. "kiss me slowly?" he wondered out loud, looking up at the sky as if it carried all the answers.

"just dance with me, idiot," devon muttered, locking her hands around his neck.

in surprise, he put his hands on her hips. "i can't dance."

"it's easy. you're doing it right now, see?"

"oh."

the music continued playing as michael hummed along. "michael, what are we?" devon whispered, staring up at michael's green eyes. "are we, like, dating?"

"i don't know. i don't remember anyone asking me out," he joked, earning an eye roll from devon. he put on a serious face afterwards, searching her eyes. "devon, i like you. a lot. and i know my girlfriend - ex-girlfriend, i should say - just left, and i know that we're technically on vacation right now, but i guess i can't wait any longer. well, you can't wait any longer.

"we've known each other for, like, a month, but i can honestly say that you have changed me. you're my best friend, and i can always count on you. what i'm trying to say is... devon michelle peterson, will you do the great honor of being my girlfriend?"

devon's mouth dropped at michael's sudden proposal, but she quickly gathered herself and smiled gratefully. "yes. yes, yes, yes, yes, yes."

michael mirrored her smile as the last verse of the song began to play. they continued to sway back and forth and he sang along quietly. "hold my breath as you're moving in, taste your lips and feel your skin. when the time comes, baby don't run, just kiss me slowly."

"i would never run," devon whispered, reaching up to connect her lips with his.

-

hOLY CRAPPOLA IT FINALLY HAPPENED

cue the fireworks

this was such a cute chapter and it was pretty long too so yay i'm happy

enjoy the gif of michael proposing to devon

alright adios fronds