Chapter 41: Invasion

He lunged out only to grab a fistful of air.

We scurried through the alley like rats. The narrow walls between the two homes seemed to enclose upon us. In the heat of the moment I reached out for her hand and she latched on tight.

"Where are you going?" Titus taunted.

There was no time for explanations. Neither was there time for confrontation. Standing ready was the horse tied to the pole. I motioned for Priscilla to begin mounting while I pulled out my dagger to free the horse, but she stood fiddling with her tunica.

"Come on!" I petitioned, running my dagger back and forth against the thick sinewy cords.

"I never ridden on the back of a horse," she muttered.

"Well, you are going to learn now," I said briskly. What was there to be uncertain about? Sighing, I knelt, cupping my hands together where she would plant her left foot. As soon as her sandal stepped into my cupped hands, I gave her the lift to swing her other leg over the horse.

"Where are you going?" His voice spilled out the open door.

I almost dropped my dagger as the severed rope fell.

"I am talking to you!" I stuffed the dagger in my sheath and made a mad scramble to climb on top of the horse.

"Troy? What are you doing here?" he asked. Even before I turned around to face him, he already knew it was me.

"Do not listen to him," I whispered to Priscilla.

"Priscilla, this man is dangerous. He will bring you to ruin. You know what will happen to the enemies of the King. It never ends well," he said with a bitter twang to his voice. "Look at me when I am talking to you!" he ordered. She casted her gaze downward, her blue eyes held less glimmer in the dark. Titus had no hold on me but even from below he controlled her. Growing restless of his manipulative chatter, the reins were whipped, and the horse began picking up its legs into an urgent stride to make an escape. In the middle of the narrow road charged a defiant Titus. I nearly ripped the reins to keep the horse from colliding into him.

"Get out the way!" I warned in a low growl.

"No!" he said, shaking his fist. "Not until you let her go. I am not letting you drag anyone in the mud with you!"

"She does not want you!" I yanked the reins motioning for the horse to turn around when Titus flung his sword. The blade missed my calf slicing the edge of my draping cloak instead. Priscilla gasped as Titus scurried around the frantic horse to block us again.

The horse jumped on its hind legs. I reached out to steady Priscilla, as she clutched onto my waist. The horse plopped on all fours. Every time Titus moved in, the horse would stomp its hooves and lunge its neck at him. With my dagger in hand, I matched his defiance with a glare. Get out the way!

"You think you are so invincible," he sneered. "You may be the King's son, but that means nothing to me or anyone else in that matter. I will not allow some traitor to kidnap my wife! You and I can handle this... but using my wife as your little shield is cowardly!" he snapped. I narrowed my eyes as my grip tightened on the reins.

"Priscilla, get off the horse"—

The horse kicked him in the ribs, sending him flying before slamming into the stone-paved road.

"Stay down!" I spat, as I watched him crumpled on the road. Whether he was alive, or dead meant nothing to me in the heat of the moment. I just had one thing on my mind. Find the others.

"Do you think he is alive?" Priscilla asked. Her voice reduced to a whisper.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Right now, I do not care about Titus! Now where did you say Athena was?" I asked, catching my tempo rising. Although I was still tense about the whole confrontation, I was somewhat relieved that Titus was knocked unconscious. It even gave me a twisted satisfaction seeing him unable to finish his words before getting kicked in the ribs.