Chapter 1 - Mistdale

In the wetlands of Cardena, a dragonfly lay lazily on a frond, hanging perfectly still. In the blink of an eye and the snap of a branch, it had taken to the air, the buzz of its powerful wings accompanying it. It spun around in the air, hovering over the marsh before heading for the sky as an oar came crashing down into the mire beside it. The grey wildcat wielding it watched the dragonfly retreat before turning back to dredging the swamp from her canoe.

Her name was Sapphire. She wore loose, hempen clothes and had a powder blue bandanna wrapped around her muzzle. She dragged the oarhead over the bottom of the swamp, grunting with effort to pull it through roots and plant matter.

Sapphire had been a lot of things in her life. Refugee, orphan, shipper, barmaid, pirate, treasure hunter, wife, mother… She had done enough, and been through enough, to know exactly how far she could push herself. She knew she had the experience for this. She knew she could do this.

“Ari! I can’t do this!”

Further down the river, a small, dilapidated house boat was floating next to a mangrove. It was a simple affair, with waist-high bulwarks, a long foredeck and a tall cabin that served as its inhabitant’s home. A grey fox called from the deck, his voice muffled slightly by a red handkerchief he held to his muzzle.

“What’s wrong?”

Sapphire grimaced at the swirling, muddy water. “It’s making me sick! I can’t do it!”

She grunted, forcing the canoe around. She pushed away from the shore, moving free of the swamp with a sucking schluurp. Once in the river, she rowed over to the houseboat, grabbing the rope Ari offered her and tying it to the canoe. Ari pulled her in, and fastened the canoe alongside, helping Sapphire onto the deck. She swayed, putting her hand to her mouth and gagging.

“It stinks!” she retched, removing her bandana. She sat down, resting her head against the bulwark. She sighed, sticking out her tongue. Ari sat down next to her, holding her hand.

“You alright? You haven’t seemed well all week.”

“I’m fine,” she groaned, “This place just stinks. Let’s just find the damn thing and get out of here.”

Ari chuckled, kissing Sapphire on the forehead. She purred, and playfully flicked at him with her tail.

“Mama! Mama!”

Sapphire sighed inwardly. She turned from her husband to her daughter, who was bouncing eagerly on the deck, and smiled motherly.

“Yes Marina?”

“I caughta fish!” Marina grinned, bouncing and pointing towards the stern, “Canya help me gi’t outta the water?”

Sapphire smiled, and dragged herself upright, suppressing the urge to retch. Marina took after her in so many ways, from demeanor to looks. Her timing she got from her father.

“‘Course I can.”

Marina grinned, and sped off around the cabin that was their home to the stern. Ari shook his head, chuckling.

“She’s a handful.”

“Wouldn’t have her any other way.” Sapphire agreed. She followed Marina, letting her stomach slowly quiet down. At the stern, Marina leant over the side of the boat, peering into the water. Sapphire held her daughter by the waist, keeping her from tumbling over.