The Midnight Man

Chapter One

The light illuminating from a resident candle flickered as the last two players walked through the wooden door. The smell of burning wood wafted through the small brick cottage as Melina lit the fireplace. In total, there were eight players; four girls and four boys. Melina being the authoritative leader began lighting the red candles that were fluently placed around the room.

"Alright people, sign your name on the paper in front of you and prick your finger with the pin." Melina instructed. The group nodded, eager with anticipation. Melina looked down at her slip. She brushed her chestnut colored locks behind her ear as she neatly began writing her name. She proceeded by picking up the push pin, poking the tip into her delicate finger. Almost instantly blood began to trickle out of her finger. She gazed over at Matt. Matt was second in command in their group activities, but first in command in Melina's heart. She watched as he ran his fingers through his short black hair, the scene reminded her of a child taking a hard test. He was completely oblivious to her frequent stares and ramblings. In fact, she felt more threatened by his demeanor. Being the son of an army general ingrained strength and bravely.

She flashed a flirty smile in his direction. "It's not a test." She teased, rubbing her blood onto the paper.

Matt shifted his gaze in her direction, placing the pen into his mouth he began rubbing his blood onto the white slip before him. The plan for tonight was an innocent game called The Midnight Man. Melina wanted to see if following these steps did in fact summon a demon known as this mysterious man. As Melina finished up her slip she wandered over to her good friend Darcy. She watched her group carefully as she dodged around the tables. She didn't care for most of the people in the group, but Darcy insisted on eight players. As she approached her blonde haired, blue eyed beauty of a friend a smile crept across her face.

"Everyone is almost done." Melina stated with a smile. Darcy flashed her pearly whites at her friend.

"Good, because midnight will be approaching soon." She retorted, eyeing the selected group.

Melina followed her gaze before glancing down at her watch. The time read twenty till, it was now or never. Clearing her throat, she stepped onto a chair eager to announce the instructions.

"Okay, is everyone finished with their papers?" She cooed, vying for their attention. All she received were nods, but that was good enough for her.

"Good. There will be four different groups of two. You guys are responsible for each other and must stay together at all times." Darcy smiled, handing her the partners list.

"Darcy and Kevin." She paused as she watched the tall Jock make his way over to her friend; a smile on his face.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." Kevin assured his partner, followed by Darcy's eye rolling.

Melina scanned the paper as she called the names, her heart stopped when she saw hers. Her partner was none other than Matt. Elated, she walked over to her companion.

She instructed the groups over to the old wooden door. The building itself had seen decades, but the door held an eerie stance. Melina ran her fingers over the deep scratch marks.

"Maybe this isn't a good idea." She whispered into Darcy's ear.

"Nonsense. It's now or never." Darcy retorted, placing her hand on Melina's back.

"Now, everyone place their slips in front of the door and knock three times." She announced, switching off the lights. In the meanwhile, Melina began passing out one candle to each group, followed by a bag of salt, and a box of matches.

The day before their planned game had been dedicated to preparing everyone with a list of safety precautions, she only hoped everybody read the list.

Melina crept up beside Matt, his candle illuminating his breathtaking features.

"Everybody, go and scatter around the house." Darcy instructed as she held onto the brass knob, turning it slowly. As the nearby grandfather clock chimed on midnight, she flung the door open, denting the wall. A cold breeze swept through the room as the game began.