30. Christmas, Measles & Robberies - Dec 1990 to Feb 1991

Didn’t Feel Like Christmas

December 26, 1990

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars.

This year didn’t feel much like Christmas to me, I wasn’t involved in the foreign activities at all, I seem to have felt a bad-mood cloud about me for some odd reason. I'm not really talking to anyone at all lately so I don’t know how others feel. I just keep my head down and avoid eye contacts – why make more outward friendships when one needs to be immersed in God? One must be careful, especially in Prasanthi Nilayam where countless distractions are side-by-side with God!

26 December: Xmas eve, the foreigners sang Xmas carols, nice new ones also. Then there was bhajan. Next morning was nagar sankirtin. Inside the compound all went well until arathi – gents sang one song and ladies sang another, all out of harmony. Swami didn’t even tap His fingers to keep time, but anyway seemed to notice the unity in all without complaint!

For Darshan in the morning, Swami was very beautiful & blissful, blessing all and giving Darshan generously. Evening was the old student’s function (4 speakers), then two foreigners speakers, Swami’s discourse and a nice drama on Shirdi and Sathya Sai. How everyone laughed to see young Sai dressed in shorts, short-sleeved shirt and curly hair! Swami also seemed to enjoy it.

All for now! Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya

_________________________

Running Around for Visa

January 11, 1991

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

As for recent news, the end of last year and beginning of 1991 was filled with events for me.

28 December: Vaikunta Ekadasi, the day heaven’s gates are opened - for whoever dies. The police were searching for me all day, and I finally got the word in the evening: a letter had come from the government saying I didn’t make visa application properly, and I must go to Anantapur immediately to correct matters. I made the application almost one year ago, asking for visa from 2 Feb 1990 till 2 February 1991! Good ole’ Indian delays.

29 December: Swami gave nice namaskar and front row, first in 4 months.

30 December: My 26th birthday!

31 December: went to Anantapur, new man was cruel and after finally agreeing to let me correct application, he refused to let me make new application for next year (February 1991 to February 1992), and told me to leave India!

2 January 1990: I go to Hyderabad hoping for a chance to request one more year. They said I had to make application in Anantapur but when it came to Hyderabad, they’d approve it. I left that night – another 12-hour bus ride.

10 January: went to Anantapur – caused trouble, the new man was hopeless so I went from office to office, higher and higher, finally, finally making an application for one more year, and getting an “under consideration” stamp (for Feb, 1991 till February 1992).

Sport’s Meet happened on 11 January. We had morning program from 7 AM till 11:30 AM! It was awful in the hot sun and I came back feeling my lungs were being crushed, unable to breathe due to the dust. Still I have achy limbs, headache and exhaustion. We saw interesting sights, though, by all of Sai’s schools.

Venkamma is fine and sends her blessings. Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya

_________________

Measles!

January 18, 1991

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

I'm writing this from my sickbed. I just wrote a letter about my visa adventures. Did you receive it? Well guess what I picked up in Hyderabad or Anantapur – MEASLES!

Yes, about 13 January I got shortness of breath. Doctor Amma gave me an injection. From then on I was bedridden with fever. After two days they transferred this body to the hospital, a semi-conscious lump of hot fever. I accepted death and at one point gave your address to loyal Vidya - the only one to visit and take care of me during this (Venkamma just sent maids to ask what I wanted).

I just laid and watered from the eyes constantly, coughing, not eating and barely sipping water, throwing up etc. Yes - received big doses of antibiotics and injections. Finally on the fourth day I was suddenly covered all over with little red dots. And I felt slightly alive, slightly better. Even then they weren’t sure whether I was allergic to antibiotics or if it was measles. Never mind. After two more days I was drinking liquids but of course in a very weakened state. Then the hospital decided I was contagious and needed to be rejected and put in isolation in an ashram room. The proposal went to Swami Himself it seems! Happily, Swami was in a compassionate mood and said to give me a ground floor room. The doctors suggested South Prasanthi but Swami said all the Anantapur girls were there and they might catch it! So here I am in West 3 A-19 all alone, for the next week or until I'm out of quarantine.

Now I'm much better: no fever, spots almost all gone; but unable to walk due to extreme weakness. I'm drinking and starting to eat fruits. Venkamma also said I shouldn’t come out for one week. Moan.

Sai Ram! It’s been much effort to write this! I'm feeling exhausted. Be well. I’ll write again when I'm fully recovered from, yes, measles, and out of isolation. Vidya’s taking care of me. I'm still taking antibiotics three times a day, and have a bad deep cough. This too will pass!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya

____________________________

Ashram Running Amok - Robberies

February 2, 1991

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Sai Ram! Divya conveys her namaskars. Swami left here on 24 January.

Here all is fine, I'm am over Measles and have got back most of my strength. It was long days of recovery! And I was bothered by the strict Telugu rules Venkamma imposed on me, like no bath allowed for two weeks! Now we hear that there’s an epidemic in Anantapur. Niraja’s small baby has it and now Vijai Sri may get it! Venkamma says I must’ve got it from Anantapur. Didn’t I have it when I was young?

Well, this Ashram seems to be running amok. Several robberies have happened, all during afternoon hours when residents are asleep or in another room (kitchen or bathroom). My clock (someone had gifted me a small alarm clock) and Venkamma’s radio were taken the same afternoon! Now one Doctor’s big radio/cassette player was also stolen. Also, the new head of ashram, Mrs. Shouri (rakshasi) on ladies side (taking Mataji’s place) and Mr. Narayana (taking Kutumba Rao’s place) are claiming “Swami said, Swami ordered,” when Swami really never said anything at all! What will the ashram come to if the heads are getting “inner messages”? Personally I'm appalled by it. This could lead to bad consequences.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu

Love,

Divya