Chapter Thirteen: On the Way There

Alexan PoV

I stood by the mare bored and irate, I didn't have patience today. Not for anyone. I just wanted to go. It was so typical of father to ruin something I was looking forward to. I had told him weeks ago that I wanted to take Onyxia on what she called a honeymoon, that it was an important and compulsory tradition, that it would be an unforgivable insult if it wasn't done. Oh, he agreed, right away, but decided to make an expansion on it. Turning it into a trip to the mainland to visit our neighbouring allies. To see Luis, another prince, another rival. That little sh*t has always been over grasping and a bore. I've never wanted to knock someone out just to make them stop gibbering. And that wasn't all; I had to bring a parade of people with me. Her handmaidens, my friends, some servants, and my aunt and sister. I hated it. I knew, I knew it before I told her, that she would immedently refuse. Even now, everyone was set to go, the luggage was loaded and horses were readied. Yet, she was still absent. Who could blame her?

It's been almost a month, and I feared for her. I had noticed that she gradually dwelled into a spiral of sadness. I had no idea what her family had written her, I only noted that she had received a message from home. I often discovered her crying in her room, and became distant. She wasn't eating well, sleeping well. She was stuck. Even taking her faded in her enjoyment; from its usual indescribable extraordinary levels it darkened into the point of pointlessness. It started to feel like a job, it felt forced and every time she tried to respond with heartbreaking effort. She would ether get teary during or be as silent as anything. And it wasn't as if I was in the mood fully ether; my father's health was deteriorating rapidly and I had Kyarah to deal with. I wanted to go to bed with Onyxia, because at least anything that is felt or said is honest. It's blunt and in the open. That's why I wanted this time alone with her, I needed a break. I needed to start a family, and then perhaps I could settle.

"Alex!" I turned to glance at Lutz, he gestured his head. "She's here."

I followed his direction to lay my eyes on my wife. Her skin had lightened due to lack of exposure to the sun; it still held a healthy golden tinge though. Her pale hair was plaited in two over her shoulders. She looked tired and moody from here; her eyes were reddened with evidence that she had cried earlier today. She cried often. It was barely a week or two ago when I was coming to her rooms only to find chaos; her maids were in a panicked scramble and my wife lay calmly on the floor with her wrists cut thrice on each side. She had tried to kill herself. What was in that letter?! She was pretty much fine before then. What could possibly lead her to this? What had happened?

Under her fur lined, woollen cloak she wore a simple, embroiled green gown. The dark, forest colour reminded me of the nightgown she wears at times. My favourite thing I've seen her wear to bed if I counted what she had on, on our wedding night. I could see her warm boots sticking out under her hem, and knew she wore the type of tight fitted trousers she wore when fighting under her dress. Her jewellery was colourful, a clear plead for the wearer to be just as sunny. Her posture caught my attention, and when I realized what she held in her arms I was shocked.

"Hello, Husband." She said, simple and neutral. She looked down at my son in her arms; I'm going to kill Sarabii. I had noted with tremendous irateness that my mistress had gone out of her way to become acquainted with my wife. "This is the son of one of my handmaidens." She emphasized with a purposeful look, knowing that no one knew of Rekker, he was a secret. "I wish him to come with us. If you will allow it?" Onyx forced her quiet voice louder; "She offers to allow me to care for him as practice for when we have a child of our own, as she stays back to care for Logan." Rekker cooed in her arms, smiling in joyful cheer as he tugged and played with her hair. She looked down at him with a loving smile, and kissed his cheek casing him to beam and laugh.