Chapter 1

Chapter 1

His visit to the oracle had become a ritual for Zeth Knox. Painfully, he trudged the path. “Why do you do this to yourself?” Hans questioned as he tried to help his friend along.

With every step, a bone crumbled inside then painfully rehealed again, then repeated the process over. “I must,” Zeth groaned, “I must find a remedy to the curse.”

Everyone knew there was something strange about the pack’s situation. An alpha whom never came out for them to see…

If he didn’t have such a loyal group and great support with his powerful beta, Zeth knew there would be many challenging the position.

Five long years of pain. Five years of torture. His body no longer could handle it. The curse had prevented him from death and that was the only thing that kept him alive.

What was he… nothing but a beaten pulp and rubble now. Soon he would lose everything and willingly fight to keep it, just so he could have an attempt at dying.

“I know you feel you must take the trip, but why? It hurts you so much my alpha.” Hans sighed. Even with his support the alpha crumbled with every step.

“Here we are. Soon, it will give me the answer…” Zeth said as he struggled up the steps.

The oracle had been moved to a small home only a short distance from the alpha’s home at the compound only two weeks after the curse had been enacted. It was still a very painful walk.

The statue like figure nor woman or man awoke as they entered turning into what the vistor wanted to see most, a woman of outstanding beauty. For some the statue may be a man, other times, something non human all together. “You’ve come to me again oh “great alpha?” her voice soft yet full of mockery.

“Please oracle you must have a cure for him. Don’t you see he has suffered far too long!” Hans begged.

“Ah now the young beta begs for you? Have you not made plans to take over the pack young beta?” the oracle questioned.

Zeth stood as straight and fiercely as his broken body would allow. “He stands behind me!” he said firmly.

The oracle laughed. “Do you young beta?”

Zeth looked over anxiously at Hans as the question was now implanted into his brain. Hans could have the pack and at any time.

“I stand behind my alpha,” he said proudly.

“I see,” the oracle’s ghostly voice replied skeptically. “Very well.” She whirled around then and answered her response. “The time will come one day. You will suffer greatly for the sins of your pack and your family, but if forgiveness and love doesn’t come you will writhe in agony as love goes for another.”

“Who will come?”

“How will we know?”

“That is all,” the oracle chimed before whirling around and turning back into hardened stone.

“NO!” Zeth screamed, his beta grasped tighter and tugged him.

“Zeth no, we have to leave. You can’t disturb and annoy the oracle!” Hans urged. “You don’t want to cause a problem.”

Though, Zeth was still a strong man and yet in pain, he gave into Hans and allowed him to tug him away.

Once outside the two men stood in thought. “I need to know who she is and where I can get her.” Zeth finally spoke up.

Hans nodded. Though their kind had at one time bred with destine mates only, times have changed and the gene pool diluted so that the “destined” mates never felt a pull anymore.

“I can send people in to question the oracle… though one answer per visitor per day someone’s bound to get her name,” Hans offered.

“Let me think and come up with a plan,” the alpha replied as he grudgingly hobbled back to his office.

At one time, Zeth had hated his father for the turmoil he now faces but soon he realized though, he was born into this broken pack, but he didn’t need to follow their hatred and broken beliefs.

Zeth collapsed on his office sofa. The room looked different from what his father had it as, but still it needed something… a woman’s touch maybe… A pounding on the office door had Zeth groaning.

“What is it?” he called not wanting to stand.

“A group of traveling creatures seek refuge for a few days,” an officer called through the door.

“Okay let them in,” Zeth rolled his eyes. Though he had not liked the idea of “visitors” it was part of his alpha take over to try and lift his curse. Yet no matter how many he accepted, nothing ever changed.

“Alpha… I don’t know though…” called the officer again.

“Are you questioning me, officer?” Zeth replied annoyed he would have to stand up and get the door.

“Uh no sir. But these… travelers… this group is ah… sketchy.”

Zeth yanked the door open and glared at the young officer. He yelped and stepped back slightly. “I don’t care if they are goo monsters. Get them a room!”

“Can you at least meet…”

“NO!” Zeth shouted as he slammed the door.

He knew now… he had his idea… his plan. He picked up the phone.

“Alpha is there a problem?” Hans answered on the first ring.

“Bring every female in the pack and every female that passes through the compound grounds to me.”

Hans replied uneasily with a nervous, “yes sir,” knowing he would need to bring his young mate, new baby daughter, and his sisters before the alpha.

Slamming his phone down, Zeth went to work on a new task at hand.