Chapter 5 - Part 2

Scarlett

It was Blake. His gentle hands turned me around and laid me gently on the ground as I winced in pain. I closed my eyes and tried to open them. Blake's concerned face spun in front of me. My body continued to shake as the shock set in.

"I hit someone," I confessed to Blake, trying to stop my body from shaking. "They rolled off the car, but I can't find them."

"Don't worry about that," he told me softly.

"How can I not worry? I hit someone," I said angrily, but he ignored me.

"He was here," I heard Cade say angrily and then I heard something growl. I clutched at Blake's arms at the sound of the animal growling.

"It's okay, you're safe," he assured me gently. The pain in my chest worsened and I groaned. I felt his gentle hands as he began to check my injuries.

"How did you guys know I had an accident?" I asked Blake when the realization set in that we were too far away from Cade's house for them to have heard it, so how had they known?

"Where does it hurt?" he asked softly, ignoring my question as I felt his fingers brush over my temple.

"My chest," I gasped as he lifted my shirt to check, but my hands held it. "Go and get a cheap thrill somewhere else, Blake."

He let out a sigh.

"I'm trying to check your injury," he assured me. I looked at him without his image spinning and I could see the concern in his eyes.

"Fine," I relented and I released the hold on my shirt.

He lifted it and I felt his fingers brush over the right side of my chest where it hurt the most. I nearly hit him when he pushed down gently along my rib and I felt the pain flare again.

"It's bruising already, but I don't think you've broken anything," he informed me.

"Thanks," I muttered, because even though I hadn't broken anything, it still hurt.

"We need to get her back to my house," Cade said with concern as he knelt beside me. Even lying on the road in pain, I couldn't help the flutter when I looked into his eyes.

Damn the jerk!

"We need to call the cops," I insisted. How could they want to take me away from the scene of a crime?

"We can't, we need to get you back to Cade's house," Blake insisted.

"I just hit someone. They could be lying injured or they could be..." I said. I couldn't say the word.

"The person you hit isn't dead," said Cade with steeliness in his voice as his eyes looked toward the dark forest.

"How do you know that?" I asked. The more time I spent around these two, the more I was convinced they were crazy.

"I just do." His eyes settled back on me. I could see it was pointless trying to argue with him.

"What about my car?" I continued to argue.

"I'll send someone to come and get it," Cade assured me.

"But—" I tried to argue.

"You need to trust us," Cade said, cutting me off with a hard look. I was in pain and still shaking, not exactly in a state to fight him on this.

Blake's hands slid under me and he lifted me up into his arms. I winced and held my right side as it ached.

Cade hurried to the passenger side of a black Grand Cherokee that was parked a few feet away and opened the door. Blake slid me onto the back seat and I bit down on my lip to stop me from screaming out in pain.