Chapter 4: Cupid

Please show your love for the chapter by voting & leaving feedback!          

P.S- NO SPOILER COMMENTS.

* * *

             "I don't understand why we're meditating at a time like this," Anna whispered, popping one of her eyes open. "I didn't know that I had to say it out loud, but yes, I prefer my head on my freaking neck!"

            Anna and I sat cross legged in the middle of the large, obnoxious purple fuzzy carpet in my bedroom that she had insisted on buying for me. It was still Valentine's Day. The roses, chocolate, and card were all exposed on top my dresser. My uniform was still on. Had Gram been awake when Anna and I got home, I would have made up a lie about the gifts. She had thankfully fallen asleep on her favorite recliner.

            "You interrupted my breathing exercises," I huffed out. "Again."

            I shut my eyes, getting back into my zone.

             Meditating before and after a hunt increased my control in high level stress situations and reduced my anxiety in general. I had started having minor anxiety attacks after my parents had disappeared. That's right, disappeared. I couldn't just have the cliché, 'they're dead, Violet', like everyone else. Gram and I both agreed that whatever the reason was that they vanished, they knew they were going to disappear, before they disappeared. The day before their disappearance, (a few months after my seventieth birthday) my father had sat me down at the dining room table and discussed with me taking over the business if anything were to happen to them.

            I had idolized my parents. To me, they were indestructible. But the next day, both of them were gone, and I had the awful feeling in my gut that I would never see them again.

            Anyways, enough of that drama. Taking over the hunting business was a lot of stress for an eighteen year old. I risked my life for my clients every single day. Hunting was stressful, and with stress, came anxiety. Thus, the meditation with Anna.

            Anxiety was a human weakness that a vampire could quickly take advantage of.

            "On behalf of my lovely head remaining on my neck, your lack of sexual and emotional activity with a male in eighteen long ass years, and me wanting to live vicariously through you, whilst you do the horizontal tango with this hot client, I command you to call V!"

            I let out a long, aggravated exhale, then ignored her again.

            I relished in the fact that I was homeschooled and didn't have to deal with my high school's hormonal, annoying, and alcoholic teenagers (Anna only hormonal and a teenager), but it would have been nice to be able to do something that normal people my age did, like go on a date with a guy and maybe see a movie, without being concerned that my date had fangs, or that someone in the theater was sucking a human's neck dry as soon as the lights went out.

            Do teenagers even go on dates anymore? 

            God, now I was thinking like an old person.

            The floor boards creaked. I slowly pried one of my eyes open, to find Anna centimeters from my face with my cell phone in her hand. "CALL. HIM!"

            "He's bluffing," I said, smacking the phone away from me.

            She pushed the phone back into my face. "You're assuming."