Prologue: A Sad Welcoming

This my first upload ever and I'm really nervous about this. First off I've been sort of thinking about this for a while but it doesn't seem to be coming out the way that I see it. This is just one of the prologues/back stories that I have yet to finish. If anyone would like to collaborate I'm all up for it and also up for some changes just reply or email me ( I think my email is on my profile page). Please keep an open thank you for reading it.

** Lion_ Lamb (aka Brittnii)

Prologue to the Prologue/Back stories Cal and Marguerite

Prologue:

A Sad Welcoming

Calcifer was pacing back and forth. It was killing him that he couldn't be in there with his Marguerite. Well technically it couldn't kill him but that's beside the point. He felt horrible for what was happening. Five reasons they didn't believe it would happen to them: 1) both being from different species, 2) He had heard stories about half-breed children being born but none were thought to survive their birth and in cases neither did the mother, & 3)If they did survive they were never found/ Had some defects. At last their maid Minka came out and let him. Minka and her daughter had moved in with them after they were driven out of Russia for being vampires. Which they weren't ... they were actually gypsies but it didn't help that their ancestors were known to drink blood to strengthen their powers. As he walked in he couldn't believe what he was seeing. His Marguerite was lying there in bed with a little bundle in her arms. She looked up at him with the biggest smile on her face then patted the space on the bed next to her urging him to sit next to her.

As he took the seat next to her he carefully looked her over. Her hair was a much paler brown than usual, her eyes seemed to have dulled a bit, and her skin had lost its glow. His instincts kicked in and he immediately wanted to take care of her. Just as he was getting up from the bed she stopped him and asked "Would you like to hold her?" At first he was shocked but then he quickly snapped out of it and sat back down. Marguerite gently put the baby in his arms. No amount of years could prepare Cal for this. Just as she was giving him the baby their maid Minka came in with her daughter Omari with a tray of food for Marguerite, and a glass of blood for him. As Cal was holding his precious cargo he counted her fingers and toes (like any first time parent he had to make sure). Omari came over to look at the baby and she just lit up with joy. Omari looked every bit like her mother from the pale skin, violet eyes, & thick accent the only difference was that Minka had long wavy gray hair her daughter had long brown curly hair.

Since they had moved in and taken Marguerite's last name Omari was the only child that lived in the house. After Omari left after saying her goodnights he looked over at Marguerite he frowned, she had barely even touched the food that Minka had brought in for her. He had drunken the two glasses of blood that had been brought in for him by Omari earlier. When Minka came in and saw that the plates were still full she urged Marguerite to get some sleep. After she was tucked in and Minka left Cal was just sitting there on the sofa by the window looking at the baby in his arms. As he was admiring her he also kept a close eye on Marguerite he noticed that her breathing was labored. Cal was looking at the baby trying to think of some names that would be perfect for her. When they had firs found out that they were going to have a baby they didn't want to know the sex and they wanted to name the baby after family members. But then after going through each others family trees they figured that their baby should have a normal, simple name.

Cal could feel the glow of the sun against his skin and reveled in it. It was somewhat a common misconception that vampires didn't like the sun. True if one hadn't had nourishment for a while (particularly a week if not longer, depends on diet) they would burn to a crisp. He was still aware of everything that was going on around him. Because of his acute hearing he didn't need to have his eyes open to know that Minka and her daughter had came in with breakfast for Marguerite and the darlings had brought him his blood. A little while after they had left he noticed that his arms were down by his sides and that he couldn't sense the baby or Marguerite anywhere so then he opened his eyes. To his horror neither one of them where in the room and at that point he sprang to his feet and surveyed the room and found...nothing. That was all he needed to go into panic mode. But just as he was about to check upstairs he heard laughing and looked out the window. To his relief there they were along with Minka and Omari.

But before he could bask in that moment he noticed that Marguerite was taking the baby out in the sun. He didn't know what to do he panicked. At that moment all Cal could think about were the possible defects that some half-breed children...and one of them was a reaction to the sun and he couldn't bear to watch his child die. It all happened so fast. Cal had jumped through the window and pulled Marguerite and the baby back into the shade. But before he could look either one of them over Minka came charging at him screaming "Have you gone mad!!!" all the while poking him in the chest and glaring at him with those violet eyes. Not only was she looking at him like he was crazy but so was Marguerite. Cal was bewildered he thought he was saving them and at that point he just looked up at the women before him and said "Sorry". Just as he was about to head into the house Marguerite stopped him and asked "You thought she was going to be affected by the sun, didn't you?" He must have had that expression on his face because all she did was smile at him and say "She takes after you, she loves the sun." With Cal grinned from ear to ear.

Later that night after everyone had eaten they all Minka and Omari had retired to their rooms for the night. Cal and Marguerite took the baby into the room with them. They still couldn't decide on a name for their little bundle of joy. Cal wanted to name her Victoria while Marguerite wanted to name her Katherine. Well for now they just called her Sweetie. They were sitting their talking when out of nowhere Marguerite said "If anything shall ever happen to me I want you to promise me that you will take care of her." Cal just looked at her and said "Nothing is going to happen to you I wouldn't let that happen." he wondered why she would say anything like that. He still noticed that her complexion hadn't got any better and she looked really fragile. She walked over to the window and said "you can't protect me (looks at the baby in his arms) us from everything'". With that Cal said "Then I will die trying" she looked at him and half smiled at him said "Some times things happen unexpectedly" before he could put in a retort she kneeled by him and screamed "Promise Me!!". Cal didn't know what was coming over her; he set the Sweetie in her crib. He grabbed Marguerite by the shoulders and helped her up grabbed her on both sides of her face and looked into the eyes of his wife, his love,...his soul mate and said "I promise to not only take care of her but to also protect her to the best of my ability." With that Marguerite looked at him, caressed his cheek, and smiled at him and then at Sweetie and collapsed.

Cal caught Marguerite as she fell in his arms. He carried her to the bed & was trying to wake her. Cal didn't even notice that he was screaming until Minka and Omari came bursting in through the door. He just looked up and met Minka dead in the eyes and began screaming "She's not breathing! Minka she's not breathing help me!!" Minka told Omari to get the baby out of the room. Cal and Minka spent about forty-five minutes trying to revive Marguerite but to no avail. They say that people close to death know when it's their time. With that thought Cal thought how she was acting after the child was born she wouldn't eat, she looked frail, and the fact that she begged him actually begged him to make that promise earlier she must have known that it was her time. Cal looked over at Marguerite lying there peacefully on the bed caressed her chin, kissed her on the forehead and quietly made a promise to himself that he would remember the way she was when they met and the days leading up to Sweetie's birth and with that he left the room.

He heard crying and headed towards Omari who was trying to soothe Sweetie without success she must sense that something is wrong. Cal then took her into his arms and headed upstairs to one of the guest rooms. After he had rocked Sweetie to sleep he just stared at her and knew that she would look more like her mother than him and he was fine with that he will tell her all about her mother as she grows up. There was a knock at the door all he did was smell the air and he knew who it was...Minka. She came in and put about five bottles for Sweetie and three for him. When she looked up at him with those violet eyes he saw heart break. Minka was always thankful for what they had done for her and her daughter and she loved Marguerite just as much as he did. As she was about to leave she said "Miss Marguerite and I had been making a book and a blanket and well I guess I was wondering if the two of you had decided on a name yet?" He seemed a little taken back by that he hadn't known that Marguerite was making a book. Then he looked at the sleeping baby in his arms and very slowly brought her up within range of his lips and whispered in her ear and when she opened her eyes and looked up at him with those familiar brown eyes and smiled her gummy smile and went back to sleep. Cal cleared his throat then looked up at Minka with tears in his eyes and said "Yes (voice quavers a bit) Yes...her name is Katherine Victoria Hawthorne" and with that Minka left them to grieve for their loss. After the door closed he could hear her crying with Omari down the hallway. He then got up and headed to the bed with his little Katherine, laid her down and snuggled down with her, closed his eyes and went to sleep hoping to see his Marguerite in his dreams.§