Chapter 14: You Promise?

“Holy shit, what’s that?” I hear Carlos’ voice yell as I open the door to my home for Creep, I walk in behind him to find Carlos standing on my couch.

                “Down Carlos, bad Carlos!” I yell like he is the dog shaking my finger in his direction, Randy chuckles walking in behind me. “This is Creep, my new dog.” I smile cheerful as I scoop him up in my arms and hug him.

                “I should have known, honestly I was surprised when I came in that there wasn’t fifty animals in here! Thought I would have to call Animal Hoarders on you…” He laughs the rest of the family joining in agreeing, shaking their heads.

                “Thank God! I thought I was the only one, seriously how did you make it this long without taking in a stray? Carlos has five dogs, three cats, two squirrels, two rabbits, and four turtles at home all because Jazmine found them on the side of the road and just couldn’t leave them!” Glitter points out trying to add up how many animals that was on her fingers, “I need another hand…” she adds furrowing her brow,

                “It’s sixteen babe,” Carlos says shaking his head holding back a chuckle,

                “Well I won’t know that until you let me use your hand, I have the dogs, cats and squirrels, you hold up the others.” She says putting up ten fingers, Carlos rolls his eyes but obeys knowing how Glitter gets. “What do you know sixteen!” She smiles.

                “Whoa, you have sixteen pets at home?” Randy asks suddenly lifting his eyebrows in shock,

                “I couldn’t just leave them, and if I took them to a shelter they could be killed…besides I didn’t keep EVERY stray I saw.” I point out folding my arms across my chest defensively,

                “Only because the others wouldn’t let you catch them. Seriously it’s like they could sense your crazy or something!” Carlos laughs high fiving Michael as they all laugh,

                “Okay, I’m not crazy and second off- you know what I’m done arguing, meanies.” I stick my tongue out at them, before going into the kitchen to get a bowl of water for Creep.

                “Spoken like a true loser to an argument.” Carlos smirks, Randy chuckles and when I glare at him he tries to cover it up with a causal cough making the others roar with laughter.

                “Jaz, I’m gonna take off.” Randy says plainly awkwardly standing in the doorway, I can sense he doesn’t feel welcomed and I just didn’t like that.

                “Yeah, but can I talk to you first?” he gives a slight nod, and I lead him outside closing the door behind me. “Why are you leaving so early?” I ask in a low voice kicking a few pebbles on the pathway instead of looking him in the face.

                “I don’t know…” he whispers as though someone was listening and when I glance up to my window in the living room I see many people are, I glare before taking his hand and leading him further away so no one can see us.

                “I wish you would stay…” I mumble afraid to look in his eyes I stare at my Nike Sox, using one finger he leads my face up to stare at his and my breath gets stuck in my throat.

                “If it was just you, I would never leave.” He says more confidence in his words this time, my heart speeds up at the thought of him and I forever alone. Heaven.

                “Well stay with me now, please…” I let out a sigh as his eyes flash a little sadness I knew his answer before he spoke the words.

                “This moment is for your family, not me.” He presses his forehead to mine, his lips inches from mine and I want to cave and press my lips to his right this second.

                “Randy, I love my family I do…but I have them forever. I never know when you might leave me…” I sigh, feeling increasingly insecure as I open up to him in a manor I never have before.

                “Hey, hey, don’t talk like that…I’m not going anywhere, ever. Trust me, you are forever in here.” He whispers pointing to his heart, I wish he meant in the same way I felt about him.

                “You promise?” was all I could manage as tears burn my throat begging to be released from my eyes,

                “I promise.” He takes his forehead off of mine and my heart aches for it to return but leaps when it’s replaced by his lips gently kissing my forehead. “Now go spend time with your family, Jazzy. I will see you tomorrow and any other day you need me.” He pulls me into a hug, I hold on to him like my life depended on it not wanting to lose this moment in time.

                “I love you, Randy…” escapes my lips and I stiffen immediately wondering how I could let those words leave my mouth, I brace myself for him to push me away and scream at me and never return. Our embrace ends and he starts to walk away I guess he didn’t hear me, I watch him walk to his car I could have sworn I heard “I love you too…” but it was probably the wind and my desperate mind.

                I turn back to my home and see everyone’s face dunk away from the window, I shake my head just slightly as I walk to my front door. Everyone sat casually like they weren’t just spying on me, “I saw you so just drop the act.” I say plainly throwing the closest pillow at Carlos the obvious ringleader.

                “We weren’t spying on you!” Carlos shouts throwing the pillow back,

                “Who said anything about spying?” I ask lifting a brow at him and I could see him mentally kicking himself for pretty much confessing to his crime.

                “Fine, we are busted so spill the beans what just happened, it looked all emotional!” Sara squeals jumping off the couch and rushing to my side.

                “Nothing really, I was just trying to convince him to stay. I swear he is usually the best person to be around but when others are around he just closes up…” I sigh taking a seat on the couch, Carlos obviously bored with this conversation got up grabbing the other boys and heading into the other room.

                “Well it’s sweet that he is open only with you though,” Sara smiles reassuringly sitting on the couch beside me draping her arm over my shoulder pulling me close.

                “That can’t be all that happened!” Glitter blurts out not able to hold in her eagerness, “I want details, juicy ones!”

                “Well, I sort of said I love you.” I say quickly closing my eyes quick waiting for them to scorn me saying it was too soon or what not.

                “Are you serious? What did he say?” Sara and Glitter shout in one voice.

                “Yeah, well I don’t know if he heard me. It was while we were hugging and it was an accident, I thought as he walked away I heard him say it back but I’m pretty sure it was my imagination.”

                “Whoa…what if it wasn’t?” Sara asks and I think about that, would I be willing to ruin a family for my own selfish-ness? My thoughts travel to my father and my stomach twists with disgust, was I willing to be that selfish?