Chapter 9 - Blood and Sweat

Chapter 9 – Blood and Sweat

Dedicated to @asterism for making me covers displayed on some of the chapters. Thanks!

***

Avery

"Kathryn!" Jon's voice was firm just like the hand he had wrapped around Avery pressing her into his side. It was not that he was too rough. In fact, Avery more than liked his possessiveness. The fight club was getting crowded, and shifters were certainly not shy where body contact was involved. Some were merely using elbows to move through the ocean of sweaty bodies while others were openly groping whatever caught their attention. There was also the matter of the suspicious characters leering from the darker corners of the club that made Avery appreciative of Jon's closeness.

Maybe he was not so out of bounds labeling fight clubs dangerous. She was immensely glad that he had decided to accompany her - not that she would ever tell him. There was no need to inflate his ego any further. There was also the "I told you so" lecture that she knew would follow, and she did not particularly look forward to it.

The need for a combat instructor for the pups outweighed any danger or discomfort that she could encounter. If she couldn't face it, then she did not deserve to be their Alpha. Her pack was all she had, and she would make damn sure that she succeeded for their sake.

The promise of danger would not stop her. What worried her was the way Jon tensed as his eyes landed on the young she-wolf, who kept avoiding his glare and purposefully looked anywhere but him. Not that Jon kept his eyes on her for longer than a moment. When his body went rigid against hers, Avery had looked at his face and immediately recognized his wondering eyes, darting from a shifter to shifter as if he was searching for someone or something.

"What are you doing here?" Jon asked coldly.

The pretty brunette, he earlier referred to as Kathryn, flinched at his tone.

"I need your help." Kathryn barely spoke above a whisper as she kept her eyes focused on the tips of her shoes. Avery had to admit that the heels she sported were darn sexy as was the little dress, Kathryn wore. Avery's outfit could barely pass the cut for club-wear. It was neither fashionable nor provocative. It was comfortable, practical and comprised of items she could wear on a casual day. There was no point investing in a dress for the occasion. Avery was not planning of ever coming back to this place once she had secured a proper combat instructor.

Avery's eyes finally moved from the thick braid that lied over the girl's shoulder to her face. She was young, probably in her late teens and very observant. She had patiently waited for Avery to complete her evaluation of her and then warmly smiled fixing her with those brown eyes, "Hi, I'm Kat. You are?"

Jon growled at the question and quickly snatched the brunette's elbow in his left hand keeping his right hand firmly placed over Avery's hip. Jon steered them towards a quieter corner of the club leaving no doubt that he wanted them to follow. Avery didn't mind complying with his request. In fact, she was quite curious to figure out what did the brunette mean to Jon. Obviously, they were acquainted. Could she be one of his previous flings?

Jon finally rammed his way into a "staff-only" room, scanned the room for unwanted ears, and finally released Kathryn's elbow. Avery noted with delight that he kept his hold on her hip.

"Goddess! Jon, that hurt!" Kathryn exclaimed and then openly glared at him.

Avery felt her shirt stretching over her chest, and her eyes shot at Jon's hand that was no longer lying on her hip, but fisting the cloth in his anger. He really didn't appreciate someone talking back at him.