Chapter 21

Christopher Lawson –

“Are you all deaf?” I snapped, groaning loudly in defeat. “You are going to be attacked, do you hear me!” I yelled loudly, my volume rising with every word.

I knew the house wasn’t abandoned. I couldn’t sense Harper anymore, but I could hear soft murmurs of people and a shifter would pass me every once in a while. They all kept their eyes straight and pretended I wasn’t even there. I spent the last four hours screaming for someone to hear; for someone to care.

In the last twenty-four hours I had been lost to the chaos of seeing Harper, Shane, and being chained up like some rogue. The moment I saw Harper’s bright hazel eyes from the second-story window I felt my longing hit me all over again. It lit the flame of my purpose to be here all over again. I was here to warn them, to save Harper, to get some kind of happiness back. But I couldn’t do that if this stubborn pack kept ignoring my efforts.

“They’re coming,” I whispered, losing my strength and passion to keep shouting at the empty courtyard. I dropped to my knees and lay back against the ground. My head hitting the ground with a soft thump as I closed my eyes, exhausted from my pointless attempts to help them.

A sudden jerk on my chains nearly tore my arm from its socket. My head shot up from resting on the soft grass.

“Get the hell up.” A tall man barked, while his face remained detached and emotionless. He reminded me of a lumberjack, in his red plaid and steel-toed boots.

I met his gaze with mild interest. I had never seen a shifter that tall before, how the hell he managed to sneak up on me without noticing is beyond me. He looked intimidating, but I would be damned if I let him know that. “Why? I’m pretty comfortable right here.” For good measure I patted the dirt-covered ground beside me.

He narrowed his eyes in a challenge, but the rest of his face was kept blank. “Gamma Quinn requested your presence.”

I raised an eyebrow, “How nice of him.” I stood up slowly, hiding the wince from my face as my raw wrists scraped along the silver chains. “But I hardly think my attire is proper for a meeting with an Alpha’s third in command.” I brushed the dirt from my cargo shorts and gestured down to my body. I glanced at his shirt and gave him a confident smirk, “Care to lend a helping hand?”

The tall brute stripped the plaid shirt from his shoulders and threw it at me without a second thought. I kept the shock off my face and grabbed the shirt. He stalked towards me, his feet barely making any noise. He reached down, unlocking the chains around my feet and then around my wrists.

“Thanks, man.” I murmured, but he only nodded his head. “Not much of a talker are you?”

He shook his head. “Come,” He spoke as his chest rumbled in a silent show of dominance. He turned away and walked towards the large white house I had been staring at all day.

I hesitated before following the giant shifter. My stomach was in knots as my anxiety started to take over, the only thing keeping me walking was the fact I was getting what I wanted. I would get their stupid Gamma listen, and he could get their Alpha to actually speak with me. I would save this pack – save Harper, if they could just get their heads out of their asses and listen.