Gratitude

Chapter 21: Gratitude

Quote of the Day: "Thank You God, for blessing me with much more than I deserve."  

A professional thief met a traveler who was setting out to journey to a far away land. He thought this traveler must have a large sum of money since he was going to journey so far and saw this as an opportunity to steal. The thief approached the traveler and informed him that he would be travelling to the far way land as well and suggested that they go together by train, so they would have companionship during the trip. The traveler agreed and he bought a ticket for himself and the thief and they got on the train.

On the train, they talked as companions should talk. The man then fell asleep and the thief was delighted, for now he could steal the traveler’s money. With greedy hands, the thief searched the traveler’s pockets, yet to his surprise, he found nothing. The man awoke and they talked again, with the thief burning with frustration.

The man fell asleep once again and the thief searched again, much thoroughly. To his dismay, he once again found nothing. At this point he was very annoyed and abruptly woke up the traveler. He asked the traveler why he was going on such a journey if he had no money. The traveler began to laugh and explained that he knew. Knew, the thief’s true identity and therefore, put his money in the thief’s pockets. This way, the thief would search all of the traveler’s pockets, yet never think to look in his own.

This story explains how, we as humans always desire what other’s have, instead of being satisfied with what we have.  

Gratitude.

It happened last Ramadan. Thinking back, I realize that last Ramadan was, in a word, perfect. The first day of Ramadan started on August first, maybe its just me, but that seemed pretty nice; the way the Islamic and western calenders were parallel to each other, or something like that. 

Last Ramadan. I had many things that I wanted. Yes, last Ramadan was the summer before eighth grade. And eighth grade was when you take the test to get into the most elite high schools in the city. At least that's how it works from where I'm from.

I come from a relatively poor family, so instead of going to an Islamic private school like my other friends, I was set up to compete for a spot in these elite schools.

Man, I had this one school that I wanted. The school I wanted to get into was the hardest one of the whole lot, but I wanted to get in. Really bad. I enrolled myself in a test prep during the day and prayed tarawih during the night. The only thing on my mind when making dua was high school. From day one to thirty, I prayed with all my might. Coming out of Ramadan I felt good, I felt positive, I felt confident.

September came around, then October. The days passed and before I knew it, the day of the test arrived. I remember I was shivering. My entire body quivered with anticipation, excitement and nerve making my teeth chatter. I wanted this. Not just for me, but for my parents. I wanted to give them something to hold on to, something to be proud of. I walked into the testing room, knowing Allah (SWT) was with me.

I walked out the testing room knowing Allah (SWT) was with me.

Allhumdulilah. I made a pact with myself to say "Allhumdulilah" no matter what the results were. Just thank Allah for whatever I got, because Allah knows what's best.

Allhumdulilah. I wanted to say Allahumdulilah and be grateful for whatever Allah decided to give me.

Allhumdulilah.

A few months passed and finally the day of the results came in. I got my envelope. Beside me, others were ripping open their envelopes and cheering in happiness or sobbing in sadness. I stuffed the envelope I my pocket, for later. I wasn't ready.

I wanted to open it at home but, curiosity got the best of me. And I peeked.

There in clear bold letters, I saw the high school I got into.

It wasn't the one that I spent all Ramadan, all summer for that matter, dreaming of. It wasn't the one that I prayed day and night to get into. It wasn't the one that I so desperately wanted acceptance to.

It was my second choice school.

Say it, say Allhumdulilah. I opened my mouth, I had to say Allhumdulilah. Had to. Instead my throat choked up. The moment was gone.

I failed.

Now afterward, in the years to come, I'll probably reflect on how "it wasn't fair". 

Others didn't pray all night, others didn't make dua into thee wee hours of the morning, others didn't do what I did. But the thing that I'll always remember with the most remorse, is the fact that I didn't say Allhumdulilah. I didn't thank Allah (SWT), I wasn't grateful. And that's why I failed.

So I'm here today, to warn you all out there, learn from my story and be grateful. Remember what matter the most in life. Don't kid yourself and think i you've got this diploma from a top notch school you're all set, you've got your spot in Jannah. Wrong. Worldly possessions. It's in the word, "World", they last as long as the world lasts. And that's not really all that of a long time. On the Day of Judgment, you'll be judged on you're actions, reaction and how you dealt with whatever was thrown your way.

Don't follow my example, remember to always, ALWAYS, say Allhumdulilah.

<Anonymous>