Chapter Two

"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered." 
― Michael J. Fox

***

Chapter Two:

Nola reached the front porch of her home, not bothering to look oddly at the red truck in her driveway that she'd saw when she pulled up. She knew, after glancing at it once and ignoring looking at it again as she parked her car and made her way to the front door, who the car belonged to...

Mitch.

The door was unlocked, Nola realized as she turned the handle. Mitch tended to leave the doors unlocked, and now was no different. He believed that there was no need to have the doors locked when he was around. Mitch informed her that if someone was to come in, uninvited, he'd teach them a lesson. As for locking the bathroom or bedroom doors for privacy - Mitch also voiced, and taught her that privacy is never to be found or seeked in a home that he is in. He, as a man, had a right to come in as he pleased without the road block of a lock.

Mitch even taught her — when she had enough of a punishment and tried to escape his lesson by running to her room and locking the door — that doors are no match for his large stature. With quick, swift moves he could break down any door.

He told Nola, she remembered, that when they got a house no room would have a lock on it. At first it bothered her but she knew that it was a woman's job not to interject — he knew what needed and had to be done and she was to listen and accept it.

Nola, after closing the door behind her and placing her keys in the bowl by the door, looked around the living room. She noted, firstly, that Mitch was not on the black leather couch, watching the television in front of it, with his feet propped up on the glass coffee table. That made her raise an eyebrow for he was normally there when she got home.

Walking in farther, she decided that she should head to the kitchen to see if he was in there.

Upon entering she saw his tall figure leaning on one of the grey marble counters by the sink. He had a glass of water, and immediately locked eyes with hers when she walked in.

Nola searched his blue orbs, hoping to see if he was angry with something she did. A quiet sigh escaped her lips when she noticed that he was calm and not outraged.

"Tomorrow you need to do something," He stated, cutting straight to what was on his mind. That was his style, always speaking what he was thinking, never second guessing it. "You need to go to the office at your school or a counselor, whoever, and drop out of school. No sense in you continuing your education with me around."

Nola's heart dropped, she didn't want to quit school. Even though her grades weren't that great and she didn't enjoy classes, like she used to, Nola still wanted to finish high school. She was in her final stretch with just two months to go before she'd graduate. However, after mulling it over for a second, she knew this would make Mitch happy. "Okay," She breathed, not fully accepting the idea but not arguing with it either.

"Great. Now, moving on. The day after tomorrow I'm signing a lease for an apartment. We move in the day after that. "

She was about to reach a breaking point, she could feel it. He wasn't asking her if she wanted to uproot from her parents home and go live with him — he was stating she was, as if they'd already discussed this topic and agreed on it at an earlier date. Two years ago, when she had her fiery spirit and willingness to back talk, Nola would raise hell. However, now she knew  — she knew it was not her place to argue with Mitch. "Where is it?" The question slipped off her tongue without her thinking twice about it. Nola knew she made a mistake and wished, more than anything she could go back in time and rip the question from her lips.