Chapter One

Chapter One

The first week of the outbreak if you ask me, or anyone else and they would tell you it was the craziest.

On the news for that week at first was of these really strange stories of, "people biting others" or "this person is going crazy, unresponsive, and is trying to bite others". No one knew what the outbreak was and how serious it was.

No one knew better.

The first reports of the outbreak was in Washington, next Montana, then Califronia, and after that it seemed like it was everywhere.

It, the disease, found its way to Colorado in 2 days.

On the first day of the outbreak the news was on all day running stories about Washington and Monatana. But no one knew what it was.

Second, day of the outbreak I was at school and it just made its way to Colorado. I was in my 3rd period class, Bio. It seemed like all the parents got the memo at once, because all of sudden a bunch of kids were being pulled out of class. Everyone was a little freaked out.

Third day was the weirdest. All over all you heard was how many people were infected with the "disease".

The fourth day was shocking. The disease already found its way through half of the states. By then no one was going to school. It was vacant.

By the fifth day the news only had an emergency broadcast on of the president saying, "This is an important announcement, you should stay indoors at all times and off the streets. Remain calm and don't panic. Don't open your door to strangers". It just kept on a re-run, I could recite it by heart.

Sixth day consisted of me sitting in front of my t.v switching channels even though they all had the same thing on. Outside I could hear the chaos of the protestors and people screaming,"THE END IS HERE". My mom just sat there, by the fire, whispering to herself and my dad.

By the seventh day though everything basically was hell. The "disease" already made it to other countries around the world. By then, we knew what the disease actually was but it was to late. There was no cure.

Now the streets are vacant. Papers and flyers all over the roads. Some places burnt to a crisp, with ashes cascading on the ground, surrounding the burnt places. If you even bother to turn on the T.V anymore all there is a screen that's blue with a message written in white saying, "EMERGENCY BROADCAST STATION. PLEASE STANDBY."

It's so deathly quiet outside, like a cementary. The air smells like burning flesh or just plain death.

Sometimes if you go walking out on the streets if you're even brave enough the quietness is way to much, it consumes you like a flame, makes you feel hollow and vacant inside. You start to wonder if you are thinking to loud, if the diseased can hear you. Those are the dark days though, when you feel nothing and question everything.

"Ember are you even listening?" My mother Alice asks me, interrupting my thoughts.

"Hmm, what yeah?"

"Nothing Ember, just never mind", my mom replies with a nod. My mother is only 35 years old, use to you would think she was in her 20's but noawadays you start to think she is in her mid to late 40's. Her blond locks which I recieved thanks to her reached her lower back and always held a shine to it, but it's gone now. The blonde has started to change white and gray, with the shine gone and it cut choppily so it reaches her shoulders, you could barely recognize her.

"Relax Alice", my dad supplies. He just like my mom looks older. He is 37 years old, but looks 50. His once black hair, has lost its darkness. His hair is peppered now with gray and white, it's hard to believe that it's him. You could see the toll that the outbreak has brought on both of my parents, they have started to get worry lines on there foreheads and crowsfeet around there eyes, from years of smiling and laughing.

My mom has gray/blue eyes unlike my dad who has dull dark brown eyes. If you look into there eyes you see years of experience in them, but they look dulled out from overtime. Unlike them though my hair looks the same, with my dirty blonde hair that reaches 2 or 3 inches below my shoulders. My eyes don't hold as much experience as my parents but you could tell my light brown eyes are slowly losing there sparkle.

"Oh please Grayson, we both know you are the one who needs to relax some, see look at all the tension in your shoulders. You see it right Ember?"

"Shhh, will you two keep it down, you fight like an old married couple, oh wait, that's right you are one", I whisper yell at my parents.

Currently we are walking down the road. Where exactly, that I couldn't tell you but we are still in Colorado otherwise known as my home state. It's been about a month and a half since the outbreak started. I admit things are difficult, like finding food, drinks and shelter, but we make do.

There is only the three of us right now, my mom Alice, my dad Grayson, then of course me, Ember. I have a brother and sister but they were both in college when things went bad, I haven't seen them for over 3 months.

My dad carries a bag filled with a couple bottles of water and canned food, with a couple of weapons in case we run into to the diseased. My mom carries a bag filled with her and my dads clothes, along with a blanket, with a gun inside. Then me, I carry a bag filled with the things I packed, such as my clothes, a journal, water, 2 pens and 2 pencils and a couple of pictures. Yeah, lame right, I know.

"Can we take a break, my feet are starting to hurt and it's pretty hot out." I squeeze out of my tight throat. I'm really thirsty.

"Yeah, Grayson I agree with Ember the sun is out and it's like a scroching hot desert out, and you look pretty tired"..

"I suppose just don't wonder far and be quiet". Thank you mom!

"Yes sir" my mom and I say in usision. Which my dad chuckles lightly at, its quite surprising actually, it's abnormal to smile or laugh nowadays.

My parents both sit on the side of the road under a tree, putting there things down while I keep walking a little farther ahead. I decide to stop when I see a park with lots of shade. I put down my bag and grab a bottle of water out, gulping it down while walking to a swing to sit on.

I only drink half of it before I sit it next to the swing, deciding to save the rest for later.

It's eerily silent in the park. The only sound heard is a little squeak from the hinges of the swing I'm sitting on, barely pushing myself up and down. The park is pretty big. I scan it when I see a brown furry thing. Taking a quick glance around and deem it's safe I decide to go to see what it is.

I hop off of the swing. When I make it to the other side of the park where the slides are I see that it's a teddy bear. I bend down to pick it up when I notice the blood on the bear. One of its button eyes are missing, which freaks me out a little.

While I'm examining the teddy bear I hear a rustling noise. When I look up I'm completely shocked, and I feel me go pale and panicky. It's a diseased. It's a zombie.

____________

Yay I got this updated!! First chapter up!!

Can you guys leave comments on what you thought also vote if you deem it's worthy!! Thank you!!