Chapter 5

After that kiss, Ross was the only one who could make me smile. My brother and I came out of our rooms and started talking more.

I walk out of my room one morning at 7:00 and went down into the kitchen with my soft shorts, tank top, and pink bunny slippers to make some breakfast for Daniel and I. I make us both some homemade pancakes with warm syrup with butter and blueberries to coat it. I serve myself some orange juice and make Daniel some coffee. By the time I'm done, it's 9:00 AM.

I walk up to Daniel's room and knock on the door. No answer. I sigh, he's obviously sleeping. I walk inside and shake him awake.

"What do you want." he complains.

"I made us breakfast." I say, ignoring the complaints. "I want you to be down in five minutes."

"Okay Mom." he says, sarcastically.

This cuts me deep, and he seems to notice it.

"Christina, I didnt mean it like that." he says trying to make up for it.

Without another word, I walk out his room and walk out the front door, needing some fresh air. I feel the years welling up in my eyes but I fight them back. I sigh and sit on the driveway, not listening to my grumbling stomach. I jump when someone suddenly sits next to me.

Expecting it to be my brother I say, "No need for you to apologize, it's okay."

"Im sorry I don't know what youre talking about." The person says, putting their arm around me.

I smile. "Hi Ross, I thought you were my brother."

"I know. Dont be so down, it's too early to be sad!" He says.

I chuckle, letting him hug me.

"nice shoes." he says. I can hear the smirk in him voice. My face turns red and I draw in some dirt. He hugs me again, but harder this time and squeezes the breath out of me.

"Can't......breathe......." I choke out. He smiles and pulls me into a kiss. I kiss him back and then pull back a few seconds later gasping for air. "You didn't even give me a chance to get some air!"

He laughs. "I know."

*One Hour Later*

I come down the stairs with jean shorts and a Hollister shirt on. My brother and I are going to talk about my parents' death and Ross is going to stay and comfort me. I sit at the dining room table next to Ross and across from my brother. Daniel looks me straight in the eye. We stay quiet until I speak.

It takes every molecule in me to say the next few words. "How did it happen."