Chapter 1

Home

Home

It was a word that felt foreign to me. The trees passed me by in a blur. The scent of pine was thick with the rain falling down on Ashburn. Even if I didn't want to be back, it was one of the things that I missed the most. Living in the city was nothing compared to the feeling of freedom Ashburn brought to me.

"Where did you say my dad was?" I asked Jim.

Jim cleared his throat before answering me. He looked at me through the rear view mirror. I could see the dilemma in his eyes. It wasn't that I wasn't happy to see my dad's friend, but I wanted it to be my dad who had picked me up from the airport.

"He had an important meeting to attend to. You know your father. He's a busy man."

"I know." I sighed and slouched further into the seat. "I just didn't think he would be so busy he couldn't even pick up his only daughter."

I wasn't in the best of moods. It was always nice being able to see my dad, but the departures were never pleasant. It was safe to say that we didn't have the best relationship now. Neither of us ever bothered to put in the effort anymore.

Jim started pulling up to the familiar street where I remembered spending my childhood years. It made me feel many emotions all at once. I was happy to see the old familiar house, but I also knew what the house meant to my dad. It wasn't good.

"Here we are." Jim announced. "I'll bring your luggage to your room. Your father should arrive shortly."

I tried to hide my disappointment. He wasn't home to greet me either. I tried to think of why my dad would even pay to fly me back home if he was just going to be a ghost the majority of the time.

"Thanks, Jim."

Jim carried my luggage up to my room. He quickly excused himself and left. It was usually Jim who had to fetch me from the airport. My dad was with him most times I had been allowed to visit.

The alien feeling never went away every time I stood in my old room. Every time I came back my dad managed to change it. This time the pink walls had been covered in a darker purple color with white colored furniture. My dad added a new desk to my room with a brand new laptop wrapped in a purple bow.

I walked over to the window and looked as far as my eyes would allow me to see the wooded area. The sky was dark and gray. It seemed fitting for the kind of day I was having. Most days were like that in Ashburn. With the fall it made the weather even worse.

I stood by the window just watching-observing. The rain was hitting lightly against my bedroom window now. I watched as the raindrops raced to the bottom. I must have been standing there for a good while. I was brought out of my thoughts when someone cleared their throat.

"Ashburn never changes much, does it?"

I could see my dad's right hand man from the windows reflection. It sometimes amazed me how much he was like my dad. They were both so intimidating and had strong personalities, but there was a big difference between the two. Donovan always treated me like I belonged there, and I appreciated that. My dad at least made the effort, but I could see it always caused him trouble just to look at me.