21

PERFECT

PERFECT

He said he would call, but he didn't. I sat at our local café with Paige staring down at my phone, noting that Tripp had yet to call.

In the back of my mind I questioned if L.A. was all a dream. If all that had happened was just some made up fantasy and not something I'd lived through.

         It had been four months. So much had happened in that amount of time. Back in late August I'd gone back to L.A. to shoot a video with Tripp. He'd written a love song and wanted me in the video opposite Teddy.

         We'd had fun for my brief visit but then I was back home where I'd gotten a job at the local café, Deb's Din. Paige hadn't managed to get a job herself, but she was my best customer when she was home for the weekend. Sometimes it was hard for her to talk to me when a person would come in and recognize me and hound me with questions, or embarrassingly ask me for an autograph.

         In the beginning, Tripp and I talked on the phone a lot, but then he got so busy we switched to texts until they stopped all together, too. It was announced that he'd gotten the role of Frankie in Badge & Honor and I'd called to congratulate him and we'd talked briefly before he had to go out to celebrate with the guys.

         I found myself smiling sadly. I guess it had all been too good to be true.

         "He'll call, Chlo. He promised," Paige said, trying to sound encouraging. "It's gonna air in an hour and then he'll call."

         Tripp had some interview with some music channel. A sit down where he was gonna open up about the movie and his new album. His latest single was number one on the charts and feedback was generally good. All was working out for him.

         He'd called me a week prior, stating that he'd call me again the day of the airing. He said he wanted me to watch it and I said I would.

         Now I wasn't so sure. Things had seemed to fizzle between us. The distance didn't seem to make us grow fonder for each other. Maybe we were best as friends because as lovers, I just wasn't feeling the vibe.

         It didn't hurt any less whenever I'd go to the drug store and I'd see photos of Tripp out. In one magazine he was leaving a club holding hands with Jessica, which was understandable because the paparazzi were relentless at those types of places. In another magazine he was caught on a lunch date with Amy Sweetheart, his co-star for Badge & Honor. What kind of name was that anyway? And humorously he'd been spotted at a bar with some guy who he was also romantically linked to. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if in all that time he'd been at least regularly communicating with me, but he hadn't, and it just felt like a slap in the face each time I found him with another beautiful woman.

         I let out a sigh. "Maybe it was just a fling."

         "Are you serious? The way you describe that summer... I just don't think we should count Tripp out so soon, Chlo."