Chp. 21: Surreal

Justin's POV

*3 months later*

I flutter my eyes open as soon as the sunlight hits my eyes. I groan but I soon prop myself into a crouching sitting position. I look at myself in the closet mirror. This is the boy who is still trying to recover after three months. I have to tell you, it wasn't easy. It took me almost all the entertaining Rubik's cubes in the world to get my mind off AJ once in a while. I stare at my tired brown eyes. I just arrived in Canada from the U.S. last night.

"I can't believe you're 18," a smile forms on my lips as I continue to scan myself. "Seems like yesterday you were just 17."

"You were 17 yesterday, you idiot."

I snap my head to the direction of the voice. "Sam," I whisper and groggily stand and embrace her. A few days after AJ's cremation, Sam has been putting quite an attention on me. The two of us would hang out and sometimes Chaz and Ry would join us. "What are you doing here?" I inquire once I pull out from the hug.

"Uh, girlfriend?" She points herself and I let out a humorous laugh. It's been a while since I haven't let out a chuckle. "Happy Birthday, babe. Look what I got you." She pulls out a tee shirt from her back and a smile instantly creeps on my lips as I stare at the white shirt with a printed picture of Sam and I eating cotton candy.

"Thank you, Sam." I carefully grab the shirt and pull Sam again into another hug.

"You're welcome." she pulls out and locks eyes with me. Our faces were inches apart and I could tell from the tension in her eyes that she's leaning in.

"Do you want me to wear this right now or?" I pulled away immediately and made my way to the mirror hoping she would forget about the awkward moment. Yes, she is my girlfriend but a part of me keeps on reminding me that I was cheating with AJ. I couldn't get the feeling away so whenever I kissed Sam, my chest hurts and I don't feel the butterflies in my stomach anymore.

"Whenever you want to," she shrugs, disappointment clear in her green eyes. "You should take a shower. I'll be waiting for you downstairs," she walks towards the door and opens it before turning back to me again. "Oh, and by the way, try using a mouth wash. It helps." She gives me a smile and flashes me a thumbs up. I poke my tongue out at her. "I have another present for you. But you'll see it soon, babe." She gives me a reassuring wink and closes the door behind her. I'll never understand girls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Happy Birthday dear Justin," mom lights up the single candle on a mini-cupcake. "Happy Birthday to you." I close my eyes.

"I wish AJ would return."

As I said that in my mind, I opened my eyes and blew the candle.

"Yay!" Sam claps her hands and continues grinning at me. "What did you wish?"

"It's supposed to be a secret or else it wouldn't come true." A smirk creeps upon my face while Sam rolls her eyes.

"How original." Butsy crosses his arms whilst I raise my eyebrows.

"Come on let's eat. My stomach is growling scary things at me." Kenny says as he rubs his belly. I roll my eyes and laugh.

"Countrymen, attack!"

~~~~~~~~~~

I threw my body in my bed. It's been a long evening. I celebrated my birthday with my friends, family and girlfriend in a hotel, a few kilometers from my own house. Let me tell you the best present I had so far: my own private Octopus yacht. Isn't that wicked? It's been one of my dreams to buy a yacht (or a boat at least). The yacht was gifted to me by no other than, Selena Gomez, my awesome friend. And I could—