"It's a beautiful sword, really it is," I said looking the sword over again, "So which noble are you selling this to?"

"None, I made this sword for D'Anton. I'm giving it to him for his birthday next month."

"Now father, there really is no need to give me such an extravagant gift." Ovan and I looked up to see that D'Anton had joined us. "Really father, what am I to do with such a thing any way?"

"Listen boy, you know it's a family tradition to give our son his first sword when he comes of age. Besides I worked too hard on this for you not to accept it."

D'Anton just let out a sigh and sat at the table. "Speaking of birthdays, what do you have planned for yours Nick?"

"Nothing really," I said putting the sword back on its mantle . I went and took a seat next to D'Anton. He handed me a small loft of bread and butter that I accepted happily.

"Well, if nothing else you can come spend the day with us. I could invite a few people over, I could cook and,"

"No", D'Anton and I said together.

"Why not?", Ovan looked hurt at our response.

"Well", I said looking away from him, "don't get me wrong. You're amazing when it comes to making swords and armor, but when it comes to cooking your pretty bad at it."

"I'd second that," D'Anton added with a smile.

"Well I disagree. You boys just don't know a good meal when you see one"

D'Anton and I burst into laughter. "We should be going now, right D'Anton?", I said standing and gesturing to the door.

"Yea, just give me a minute to grab the usual." D'Anton ran to the back to retrieve the chainmail and swords we normally used for our training.

I was barely out the house when I heard a crash come from the back of the house. Ovan and I rushed to the back. D'Anton was leaned over a nearby table, his hand clenching his chest. He began coughing violently and dropped to the floor.

Ovan and I ran over to him. We tried to sit him up, but D'Anton just fell to the ground each time . After almost another minute of hacking and gasping for breath, D'Anton finally quieted down.

"What in God's name was that D'Anton?", I asked concerned.

Drawing in a large breath D'Anton replied, "Ah, don't worry about it. It's been happening on and off for a few weeks. It's pretty bleedin' painful, but it always passes and doesn't come back for a while."

"Maybe you should stay home today", said Ovan, "just to make sure your okay."

"I'm fine dad. You worry too much", D'Anton said. He collected the items he dropped earlier. "Let's go Nick."

We left the house and walked along the main road till we reached the open field we always trained in. We put on the chainmail vest and gloves and took our swords. After a few minutes we were ready.

"On the count of three then?" D'Anton called from across the field.

I nodded and took my position.

"Ready? One...two... three..."

On three I launched my rapier at D'Anton. He dodged easily and swung his blade towards me. Both weapons made contact and the shock of it almost sent my blade flying out of my hands. As I tried to get control D'Anton took the upper hand, forcing me to the ground. It took all my strength and more to push D'Anton back and gain control of the battle. We began to parry back and forth around the field. D'Anton footing was off and he kept leaving himself open to my attacks. I took the opportunity to deliver a final blow when my eyes fell to D'Anton's face.

D'Anton looked panic-stricken. He dropped his sword and began to cough again. I tried to help him, but he pushed me away. After going though the same routine as this morning, he finally calmed down.

"What is with this?", I asked as D'Anton stud back up.

"I don't know. My chest was achin' like I'd been stabbed or something. I'm just glad it's over."

"Maybe you should see a doctor."

"I'm fine," D'Anton said with a smile, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? Now then, let's get going shall we? Or is Your Ladyship too tired?"

With his usual gesturing nature back, I was reassured. We began walking back along the road to town laughing and talking about what we'll do tomorrow. Up ahead of us something caught my eye.

Sitting on the ground at the foot of n enormous oak was a girl. Her face was heart-shaped and very lovely, even with her pale completion. Her long black hair and soft pink dress stood out clearly against the oak's brown bark, like a picture made of jewels or a saint framed in a stain glass window. She looked up and smiled at me and for a moment I felt as if my heart had stopped beating.

"Who is she?"

I had forgotten that D'Anton was standing beside me. "I'm not sure", I said turning towards D'Anton, " I never saw her before."

"Oh well, she's leaving now."

I looked back up the path were the lady was to see that she was heading towards the woods.

"Hey, wait up", I called. I handed D'Anton the sword and armor I was holding and ran after her.

Running through the woods wasn't easy, twice I ripped my shirt and a dozen times I stumbled over a rock or was smacked in the face by a tree branch. There was a clearing up ahead and I could see her standing there. I was about to call out to her again when suddenly... I fell. I picked myself up and dusted off my now ripped and dirty shirt. I entered the clearing and looked around for her, but she was gone.

🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹🌾🌹

٩(๑˃̌ۿ˂̌๑)۶ 💜 (๑•́ ₃ •̀๑)

Vote, comment, like