Chapter One ~ How to Reheat food with a Lighter

Chapter One

Sierra’s POV

The next time I had awoken, it was morning. A girl who couldn’t be older than twelve was hanging over me. “Your hair reminds me of a fire truck.” The girl picked up a strand of my hair and stared at it intently. Her large, blue eyes seemed to glint as she ran her fingers through it. “Hilary. Leave the poor girl alone.” Hilary jumped back and apologised. I heard the squeaking sound which cannot be mistaken for a wheelchair. “Go tell Luke that she is awake.” That same voice whispered, the young girl Hilary rushed off. I pushed myself up but winced at a sharp pain in my leg. “Careful, you’ve broken your leg.” A middle aged woman was wheeled into my line of vision. Her hair was a beautiful blonde; a few strands of grey ran through it, her eyes spoke youth but her aged face implied older. Her hair was coiled around her shoulders, her hands neatly resting in her lap.

A girl about fourteen with the same coloured hair let go of the wheelchair and stood next to the woman. She hid her face from me, but I could see the begrudging face she was pulling, she wasn’t keen to see me and thought she could ignore my existence if she couldn’t see me or if she didn’t regard me. “I would like to help Wesley and Heidi with our chores.” She said, almost reaching a whisper. The woman smiled and nodded, the young girl rushed away. “I apologise for my children.” The woman paused, as if trying to find the right words to say, she was picking them carefully, as if she didn’t want to give away much information, “Things are not easy for them.” I nodded, understanding what she meant by troublesome children. “My name is Mandy, I believe your name is Jocelyn McCall?” her eyes burned into me, I could already tell she didn’t trust me. “Yes.”

“How old are you Miss McCall?” I could feel the interrogation coming, my instincts were crying out for me to be as evasive as possible, not give out information, “I am nineteen.” She pulled a face, I wasn’t sure if it was a good face or bad. “My son Luke, the one who hit you with his car, told me you said ‘don’t let them get me.’ What did you mean by that?” I gulped, I could feel my temperature rising. I wasn’t expecting this kind of question; I don’t even remember saying something like that. I guess you could say I was saved when that guy, Luke, came through the door. “Hi mum.” He smiled before looking at me, he had sweat on his brow; he looked like he had been lifting something heavy.

He wiped his hands on his jeans, then walked over towards me, he crouched down till his face was inches from mine, my heart leapt into my throat, what was he going to do? He tilted his head then raised his hand to my forehead, I gave out a sigh of relief; he was just checking my temperature. He made a small sound, as if murmuring to himself, then hovered his hand over my bad leg, he clenched his fist then stood up, he really was tall, it kind of scared me, I was only 5’7 and he was border line 6’4. “You don’t have a fever, which is good; I don’t want you to get sick on us now.” He rubbed his face and wiped his hands on his jeans once again. He stood next to his mother and burrowed his brow, “I am so sorry I hit you with my car, I didn’t see you, my headlights turned off; they sometimes do that.” He trailed off, his mind obviously wondering somewhere else.

“But what were you doing out in the middle of the road? I know that doesn’t excuse my mistake, but just out of sheer curiosity.” I knew I could easily tell the truth with this question, it wasn’t very hard and it doesn’t really reveal anything about my past life. “I was crossing the road, looking for a hotel, I thought if I followed the main road I would come upon a town.” Both Luke and his mother nodded their heads in unison. “what brings you all this way out here? I’ve never seen you before and believe me, in this town everyone knows each other.” I smiled; I thought it was just a cliché that people in small towns knew each other and their business. “I’m just a bit of a nomad at the moment, sort of like an early midlife crisis.” I chuckled to myself, Luke smiled, but his mother remained expressionless. I gnawed my bottom lip, when Mandy finally spoke, “There are no hotels in this town, and in the state you are in, we cannot just let you go on your own merry way. Plus, if you really don’t know what to do, I suggest you can come and live with us, but, you have to work very hard in order to stay with my family.” My eyes lit up at the opportunity, Luke’s face seemed calm, as if he already knew this offer was coming. “I would love too. But in my state, how can I help around?” Mandy smiled, “First things first, you can help with the household chores, things that won’t affect your leg so much and as soon as your leg is healed, you can start to help Luke with the more heavier duties.” I nodded my head sharply.

Mandy gave Luke one look and he walked off, “Welcome to the Cooper farm.” Did I just hear her right? We are on a farm? I think I understand what she meant now about the heavier work. Luke came back with some crutches. “First task: cook dinner. I looked outside; the sun was not even setting yet. “Here at the Coppers farm we eat dinner at 5 o’clock sharp.” I just noticed the clock on the wall; it was three in the afternoon, had I really been out that long? “That gives you two hours to make a feast for seven, including yourself. Good luck.” Luke wheeled her out of the room, I looked at the crutches, I gulped and pulled them over to me, I placed one under my arm and used that to boost myself up, I then strategically placed the other under my other arm. I was used to crutches, believe it or not and this is not the first time I have broken my leg. I made my way over to the kitchen, I spied around the kitchen before I had the realisation that I was a shit cook. I realised that my four-five years living on the street taught me how to reheat food with a lighter. That was about it, oh and to open a can with a pocket knife.

Well. I guess you could say I was fucked. I looked in their pantry and realised that I had no idea what half the food in there was, there were plenty of weird looking vegetables; I opened the fridge and saw more unidentifiable food. I cursed under my breath, “need some help?” I snapped my head up to see Luke leaning against the wall, I scoffed, saw a jar labelled Mint jelly and another labelled Capers. “What the hell is mint jelly?” I whispered in absolute confusion. Luke started to chuckle, “don’t you have work to get back to?” I hissed bitterly, he smiled and walked over to a cupboard and started to pull out pots and pans, “That work was finished when I came in to see you.” I hobbled out of the way as he went into the fridge and pulled out ingredients. “Watch and learn, I am going to teach you how to make one of the most simplest meals on the planet, Spaghetti Bolognese, not the true Italian way, but a cheap store bought ingredients way.”

“Okay, so crush and cut up this garlic clove,” he handed me a small clove and a moderately sized knife. I stared at the clove, “I have no idea how you want me to crush it.” He sighed and took the knife out of my hand, he placed the blade of the knife flat on the clove and applied pressure, I watched it crush under the weight, he handed me back the knife, “Now cut up the clove.” I nodded my head and continued to do so. Whilst I did this, he peeled the skin off an onion, once I finished he handed me the onion, “warning, you will cry.” I scoffed as I began to cut up the onion, instantly my eyes began to burn, I was taken aback, a tear fell down my cheek; the burn was unbearable, “Here.” He whispered, taking the knife out of my hand and quickly cut the onion up, I wiped my eyes and watched as he did it within a split second, not a single tear coming out, “The quicker you do it, the less likely you will cry.”

He proceeded to show me how to make the short way of making Spaghetti Bolognese. Once we had finished and served up we still had forty minutes till five o’clock. Luke placed foil lids over the top of each meal, hoping to keep the heat inside. “Thanks for uhh.” I started to speak, but was stopped when the girl, Xenia, walked past, I only just noticed the one direction bracelet she was wearing, my heart leapt up into my throat as I thought about Louis, she looked at me then quickly averted her gaze when she noticed I was staring. “Don’t worry about it.” Luke rested his hand on my shoulder then left the room. Xenia had frozen in her spot, once Luke had left the room she stared me right in the eyes, “Changing your hair colour isn’t going to keep you hidden Sierra.” She hissed before running out of the room.

Everything started to spin, she knew who I was? Of course she did, I was the infamous girlfriend of Louis, she is right, just changing my hair colour and style isn’t going to fool anyone, but could I really trust a fourteen year old girl with the fact that I am still alive? I swallowed the bile rising in my throat, panic gripped me. I hadn’t even been here more than twenty four hours, do I really need to re-locate myself so quickly? Oh god, I really am fucked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know, long time no writing, but here is the new chapter for the third book, sorry it took so long, I just seem to forget, please don’t hate me, I still care for all my fans <3

Well. See you next chapter.

-Katlyn