Chapter Fifteen

FIFTEEN 

The library would be closed for the rest of the week for Christmas, and it was a break I badly needed. We'd been boxing books until I thought I'd scream, but at least we had Melanie to help us, and things were mostly back to normal. It was weird, hearing Melanie and Blake planning their weddings, and it was almost like they'd gravitated toward each other, a newfound bond between them. She'd talk about her dress, he'd say something about invitations, and I felt like an outsider, like someone who hadn't been asked to join the club, though I told myself it was a club I didn't want to join. I'd thought I was over the Rob thing, but apparently I wasn't, and all this happy-wedding-planning-stuff was really rubbing it in. 

After my last day of school on the twenty-third, I called the house and found that Mom needed a few things, so I decided to swing by the grocery store on the way home. The roads were icy, and I knew driving made her nervous when conditions weren't just right. She hadn't been driving when Dad was killed, but the nerves were there, nonetheless. 

Traffic was crazy, and it took me a minute to realize why. So close to Christmas, everyone was on break, and they were all out running their last-minute errands. My Christmas shopping had been done for weeks. I like to be prepared. I might not be a Boy Scout, but I approve of their motto. 

I grabbed everything on Mom's list, plus some extra chocolate. No such thing as having too much on hand, right? My arms were full of bags as I approached my car. I hadn't bothered to bring the cart-I'd just have to wheel it back to the cart return, and I hate making two trips. It's so much easier to carry everything at once and get it over with. I juggled my sacks around, reached into my purse, and felt nothing. 

The keys were dangling from the ignition. And I had forgotten to put the spare in the magnetic key holder. 

I fought against the tears in my eyes. I couldn't face this. After the week I'd had, I was overwhelmed with emotion, and I felt like sinking onto the asphalt. I took several deep breaths, determined to stay strong. I had to call someone for help. A locksmith seemed like my best bet-I wasn't going to drag Mom out on these icy roads. 

For the first time, I missed my cell phone. I'd noticed the store had a courtesy phone at the customer service desk, so I headed inside. 

Across the parking lot came a familiar laugh, followed by a higher-pitched giggle. I should have realized. With students coming home for the holiday, Rob would be here too. I ducked my head, trying not to see them, but knowing it was inevitable. Scumbags have to eat too, and apparently they shop at grocery stores, just like normal people. Rob and Callie-at least I assumed she was Callie-walked arm in arm toward the store, looking cute and cuddly and like the perfect couple. She was blond. She would be blond. 

"Hey, Addie." Rob raised his free hand. "How are you?" 

He could break into my car for me. He could have me seated, buckled in, and driving within minutes, but I would rather die than admit to him that I'd done it again. "I'm great," I lied, angling my body in hopes that I looked a little less like I was walking back into the store I'd just left. "How are you?" 

"We're awesome. Callie just agreed to marry me." 

She raised her hand and wiggled it, and I caught a glimmer of diamond. 

"That's great," I lied again. "I couldn't be happier for you." 

"So, are you done with your shopping?" Rob asked, glancing at the bags I held. 

"Yes, I am." I couldn't think of a single explanation for why I was not walking toward my car. With all the lying I'd done in the last thirty seconds, you'd think I was a natural, but I'd hit my limit. It was a really little limit.