Chapter #13

Miyu

BANG!

You stopped dead in your tracks and spun around. The gunshot echoed all around the six of you until it was no longer audible. No one said a word. Your eyes scanned over the forest, looking for a sign of movement. That wasn’t Falene shooting. Her gun had a shorter blast then that one. So then who was shooting? And why only one shot?

“That wasn’t Ares.” Ren said vocalizing what you were thinking. He took the last stride to stand beside you and searched the trees. You nodded in agreement and kept your eyes glued ahead. “Do you think—”

“No!” You said quickly without even considering the possibility.  “She is fine.”

“Miyu.” Sven said your name behind you and you finally turned away to look at him. He was holding Train steady but you could tell he wasn’t doing well. He was sickly pale now and had dark circles under his eyes. He coughed roughly into his free hand and then looked back up at you with tired eyes. This was bad. You had to find Falene right away and Train needed to stop moving.

“How far until we get back to the safe house?” You asked preparing to formulate a plan. Sven looked in the direction of the house and thought for a moment.

“Maybe…5 minute jog.” He guessed. You nodded and turned back to the direction of the gunshot.

“You guys keep going ahead. I’m going to backtrack and investigate that gunshot. If it’s Falene, whether she’s in trouble or not is irrelevant. I’ll get her to head back to the safe house and we’ll get Train looked after. Be cautious when you get closer to the safe house, they may be expecting our return. I won’t be long.” You added and then started running to avoid giving them a chance to rebuke your choice. Sven and Train had a hard time understanding that you and Falene had lived very independent lives. Working alone was a common thing for the two of you. Before Ren came along it had only been you two and, honestly, that’s how you had preferred it. Ren was great and you of course you enjoyed his company but Falene was very private. Ever since Ren had joined the team she had closed off even more, even locking you out a lot more than not. You missed how things had been.

Flashback

Falene walked behind you as you skipped along the path. You spun on the balls of your feet and stopped facing her with your hands behind your back. You leaned forwards sticking your butt out and stuck your tongue out at her.

“Come on slowpoke, you’re taking forever.” You whined and a small smile spread over her soft features. She slowed her pace down purposefully in a taunt. You stood up straight putting your hands on your hips and squinting at her, clearly annoyed.

“Calm down.” She complained putting her hands in her pants pockets. “It’s our day off and, I don’t know about you, but I’m going to enjoy not having to get anywhere in a hurry.” You shrugged and continued walking with her when she reached your side. She had a dramatically slower pace than your previous one and you felt like a sloth. A sweat drop appeared on your head and you glanced at her with slit eyes.

“You’re doing this on purpose aren’t you?” You asked slouching your shoulders. She tried to hide her smirk but it was blatantly obvious.

“Perhaps.” She said guiltily. You glared at her and shoved her harder than you thought forcing her into a cart of fruit at a nearby vendor. She sat in it with her limbs hanging over the side and peaches in her lap. A peach fell hitting her on the top of her head and she stared at you, annoyance written all over her face. You crossed one arm over your chest and put the other over your mouth attempting to hide a snicker.