Progress

I tell him everything about Caleb who is still in New York. How he mistreated me as a girlfriend. How he forcefully had sex with me when he was drunk. How Caleb was such a jerk, and how much I hated him. He used to be my everything, i used to trust him. But that was all for show. I didn't leave out one detail.

By the end of my story, Joey was crying with me. "At least you got away from him," he pauses to brush a tear off my face. "He'll never come back. You deserve so much better, Aria."

I smile and Joey cradles me into his chest. Thanks," I say, speaking into his shirt.

"Well I have to finish making breakfast now." he lets me go. "You want some?"

"Yeah, two pancakes please."

Joey leaves. I remember I still have to call Jade. I pick up Joey's phone laying on the bed and dial the other number I remembered. Jade picks up in seconds.

"Hello?"Jade says.

"Hey Jade, it's me, Aria."

"Aria!! Where have you been?!" she yells.

"I've been staying over at Joey's and I'm fine. I just called to tell you I'm ok and that I'll be staying over a bit longer. Ummm...." I didn't want Ingrid's fans to find out she's missing. "We have an issue, and they need my help, it's really important."

Jade takes in what I said. She sighs. "Fine, if it's important. Love you,"

"Love you, sis,"

And she hangs up. I drop Joey's phone on his bed and silently go to the kitchen. Joey has two plates set up with pancakes, and Luke is still on the table, his pancakes taken a bite out of or two.

Then Brittany walks in. "Why..." she half points to me and Luke.

"Its about time I tell you, c'mon," Joey motions for Brittany to follow him and they walk off to Brittany's room.

I'm left alone with Luke. I bring my plate up to the table with him. I take a bite, chewing slowly. Eating can be my excuse for silence.

But then I can't take it anymore. "Luke, I thought about something the other day," his head rises up at me. "I was thinking... Could the people who have Ingrid be the ones who stabbed me? I mean, the person who stabbed me was talking to another person, but I couldn't see anything. I think they have Ingrid."

He ends up looking me straight in the eye. "Well... It could be." His voice sounds groggy and tired.

I move my food with my fork around a bit. "We will find Ingrid. I have this feeling. She'll be ok, everything's going to be fine."

He half-heartedly smiles up at me. That's the only response I get from him for a while.

~

"J-Joey!" i yell, trembling at the item I was holding. I picked it up from outside Joey's door.

"What?" he sounds concerned.

I just hand him the piece of paper.

He reads it, shocked by what it says:

"We have Ingrid. She's fine right now. Do not tell the police about this or we kill her. Meet us at 305 Bayside St. at 3 pm."

Joey runs to were Luke is sitting on the couch. He hands him the note. After he's done reading it, an indescribable facial expression spreads across his face. "Let's go!"

I glance at the clock and it's 2:49. We'll make it in 10 minutes over there. We all hurry to the location which is close to Joey's home. Actually very close. We didn't even take a car there. Then I remember. This is where I got stabbed.

I tug on Joey's shirt as we walk in the alley, my hand covering my mouth. I point down at my crushed phone and a small pile of dried blood.

Joey gasps quietly, and wraps an arm on my waist and pulls me close so that we walk together.

I'm too nervous and scared to register the feeling of Joey close to me. I take in every detail of the alley. A few dumpsters, back doors to warehouses, and scattered glass on the floor. Joey moves gracefully against my side, but I'm as stiff as a board. I glance over, and Luke is staring forward, emotionless.

I see Luke stop suddenly, his mouth dropping open. I feel Joey stop at my side. He takes a step back, unsure of what to do. I warily look forward and grip Joey closer to me.