World War ll London Blitz Diary Volume 1

Excerpts :https://gumroad.com/londonblitzdiarys

Friday, September 1, 1939

War started today. After another week of lies and duplicity, Hitler launched into actual warfare early this morning. At five thirty this morning he announced the enclosure of Danzig in the Reich, and at five forty-five he bombed his first Polish town. Reports were that the Germans had already bombed eight Polish cities, and were attacking on all frontiers.

Sunday, September 3, 1939

At eleven fifteen today Mr. Chamberlain broadcast from number Ten Downing Street. He said: This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German government a final note stating that, unless we heard from them by eleven o'clock, that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us. The folly of men is now going to destroy men.

Monday, September 4, 1939

In the middle of the night we were wakened from sleep by the air raid sirens. We got up, closed all the windows, put on our robes and went downstairs. Here we remained in the passage by the staircase until the all-clear signal came, about four o'clock. The kitchen clock struck three whilst I was waking Artie. However, we were informed at nine this morning that this was again caused by the passage of unidentified aircraft over Essex and the midland counties; our fighters went up, identified the airplane and then returned to ground. We are not told exactly what planes they were or why they were flying over England at three in the morning.  Now, all lights are forbidden, all cinemas closed, all gatherings, indoor, and outside, prohibited, because of the danger from bombs. No lights in the trains or the busses, no lights in automobiles.  All around many women are ill and hysterical, and very bad when the air raid signals sound. It is nerves and they can’t help it.

Sunday, September 10, 1939

The war has now completed one week. All week the weather has been perfect. All summer it has been very poor, no warmth, nor sun, nor brightness at all. Now it has cleared up and we have had more sun and warmth and clearness in this past week than in all the rest of the summer put together. A good thing too for it has kept people’s spirits up. It is hard to be melancholy in perfect weather.

Monday, September 18, 1939

Yesterday the Russians invaded Poland on the East. This is the end of Poland. What is it the beginning?