36 - Men and Maidens

*places new chapter out*

*cautiously backs away*

*gets smoked in the face with a thrown computer screen*

"I deserved that..."

Chapter 36: Men and Maidens

“Alright, now who are we missing? Studebaker? Is Joshua Studebaker here yet? Or Ramirez? Is Belinda Ramirez here? And what about Ignacio Gomez? No? Well where are they? And I don’t think Desiree Hall is present yet either…”

            It’s safe to say that I’m positively bewildered.

            “…Fischer? Is– oh! There you are, alright…We’re getting close. Now what about–”

            Here I sit, on the bright red, plastic bleachers in our gym, bleachers that I have only ever sat on for assemblies or occasionally PE. Sitting here, stupefied into complete and utter fucking oblivion and beyond. Though, thankfully, I’m not alone in my total bemusement. Scarlett is sitting beside me.

            “I…still don’t believe it.” I mutter quietly to her, staring dazedly at the growing cluster of people whom are milling about in front of us.

            Scarlett is sitting all hunched in on her self, looking downright timid and near terrified. She’s staring at her shoes, cheeks pink. “I don’t either.”

            Mrs. Hartford checks her list again, eyes squinting down at her clipboard and then back up, flitting around the students. She is a part time librarian and an aid for students who require more help. She’s short and shrewd with iron gray hair and granny glasses. She seems severely irritated, while the man standing beside her – the newspaper photographer – appears not in any hurry.

            I bet you are wondering what in the holy fuck I’m talking about. Well, to recap…

~

Heart in my throat, I peered around the edge of the door, preparing to see something like a guillotine or gallows or some symbol of death set up on the half-court line. But it just looks like a few kids that I don’t know (granted, I know few people) milling around. And none of them look like vicious She-Beasts, out to smear my baby-bitch blood on the floor…

                Did I get invited to join the Academics Club again? Oh hell no, I took me forever to get them off my back…

            But one of the kids turned around – Scarlett?!

She joined the Academics Club?! What? No…I mean she’s probably really smart and everything and I am considered a nerd/geek, but the kids in the Academics Club make me look like a novice. Braces and lisps and hand-me-downs galore…Scarlett had seen me and suddenly was half-running at me. When did she change? She isn’t wearing her turtle outfit anymore…

            “Clarisse!” She says, in an almost panicky way when she reaches me. But she also looks relieved.

            “Scarlett?” I say, eyeing her suspiciously. “What’s going on?”

            She’d grabbed my wrist and begun leading me back to the group of six or so people; I noticed that she had avoided my question. As we neared, I recognized one of the people as Mrs. Hartford, the aid and part-time librarian. Ok, Mrs.Hartford isn’t the Academics Club advisor…(phew! I won’t be fighting off any fellow nerds)…but then…what the hell is this?