Chapter 10: The business partner.

A trip to some of my papa's companies is a monthly routine.  I would usually visit, get to know the new people and interact with the people who has been working long and hard for us. As for Francisco and me, we're doing well. We've even grown as friends actually. We met last week but then he had to leave. Something about a family business. I hope he settles everything. 

Papa always said, 'respect is earned not given.' He made sure I grew up earning people's respect. I honestly don't give out my respect that freely. So I don't expect people to immediately look up to me. Roaming this place for what seemed like hours and hours. I feel like shifting to a different place.

Maver Jones. Papa's loyal personal assistant and dear friend. He's been helping papa since papa became the heir to all that our family had accomplished, which is a multi-business empire. Companies, chains of restaurants, hotels, so it really is a lot to handle. That's why he is always out of the house and luckily he has Maver to help him.

I see Maver in his office. "Hello, Maver. " I smile kindly at him. He smiled back in acknowledgment. "Have you seen papa? I would just like to ask him if I could call it a day or if I could shift places?"

"I'm sorry Ms. Ela, but he is currently in a meeting you'll just have to wait a few minutes.  " he flashes an apologetic smile.

"I don't mind. I'll wait by and his office" He simply nodded and off I went. Strolling by papa office I decided to check on our employees

Once I entered a floor, they all stopped what they were doing and stared. I stepped out of the elevator and moved on glancing at the people. Some had familiar faces while others were new. Murmurs began. They were all the usuals. 'Who is she?' 'Don't you know her?' 'She's the owner's only daughter.' That went about as I strolled the area.

However, there was this is one comment that caught my ears. 'I bet she's really a spoiled brat with her being the only daughter.' I stopped my tracks.  Even those who have been with us for a long time and have known me stopped what they were doing to look at her.

I turned to look at who said that and strode to her. I came face to face with a new blonde petite employee who leaned against her cubicle with some other new employees. Other older employees gave her looks saying "who are you to judge" or "you don't know what you're talking about".

I gave her a business-like smile. "Hello ms.?" I glanced at her identification card. Talia Smith. "Ms. Smith." She nodded. "This is the first time I've seen you here. When were you hired?" Her other new colleagues backed away slowly.

"About 2 weeks ago ma'am." She stood up straight. 

"Just recently. Ms. Smith, have you ever heard of the saying 'never judge a book by its cover' ?" I held my hands behind me and waited for her answer.

"Yes, I have ma'am. " She stared at her feet.

"If that's the case then, care to explain what it means?"

"It's a metaphor that means that you can't just judge a book, which is the person, by they're appearance unless you know their story. " She looked up a bit and brought her back down.

"Nicely said. Now, can please tell me what were you doing when I walked in?" I bit the urge to tap my foot.

"I was.. judging you. " She sounded ashamed.

"Exactly. What you were saying is stereotyping. Just because I am a daughter of a multi-business owner does not mean I am a spoiled brat. I must agree that most of those daughters are spoiled but not all. Get to know a person before stereotyping them. " I smiled gently and patted her shoulder. I looked the employees, "Please may you all go back to your work. "