Chapter 2: Getting Drunk

Its 9 p.m. and mom hasn’t arrived yet from work. So I am going to eat. I take my mom’s car and go to Fried Chicken and Fries Rest. This restaurant is my favorite. I mean is so delicious. All they sell is chicken and fries. You can put on the fries whatever you want. I order a chicken sandwich, fries with cheese and a beer. That’s cool too, I know the owner of the store, Jeff.  I’ve known Jeff all my life and he lets me drink beer sometimes. I know Jeff because he dated my mom.  My mom loves to date. Every weekend she has a different date. But she never finds the guy of her dreams. It’s because she is too desperate. I think she’s even on those dating websites.  Anyway, the only thing that I don’t like about this place is that it reminds me of my dad. Every Sunday I came here with my dad. My dad divorced my mom when I was about 8 years old. He promised me that he would visit me every month. The last time I saw him was 5 years ago. He called because he missed me and wanted to see me all grown up. Jerk. He came here, gave me $300 bucks, ate lunch with me and left to Washington because he had work to do. The only reason he left my mom was because he wasn’t ready to have a family. Since the divorce he has married about four women. I can’t stand him.

“Uh, Kate your order is ready”. A man says through the microphone. I take my order and sit on the bar stooI. I start thinking about Tyler. I don’t like him. It’s just he’s nice sometimes and laughs at my lame jokes. But whatever, I know he’s never going to see me as more than a girl he slept with.

“Can I have a burger with fries?” Someone says.

“Yes, would you like it with soda or water?” the employee asks.

“Soda, please” I recognize the voice, I look to my left and it’s Tyler. I can’t believe this. Oh God, the guy is following me. Everywhere I go there he is. He looks at me and says: “Oh Hey”.

“Hi” I say with a grin.

“We have crossed our paths a lot these days, right?” He says and has sip of the soda.

“Yep we have, want some fries?” I say. He nods and takes a couple of fries.

“Um… last time we were together I never finished what I wanted to say to you. Look I know we slept together and I was drunk. I am not much of a party person, I only went to this party because I had a big fight with my girlfriend and wanted to get drunk and forget about everything. So, can we leave this sex thing behind and begin fresh because you are really nice and funny. I’d really like to hang out with you sometime.” He says smiling.

“Yeah that sounds great, cheers” I say and our bottles touch. Well that’s really shitty, he obviously has a girlfriend. Ugh, he only wants to be friends with me… that turned me off real bad.

“Huh, why are you drinking beer?” He asks.

“I know the owner he lets me drink, want one?” He nods. I say to the waiter: “Hey, can you get me two more beers please?” The waiter nods and gets two beers out of the freezer, pops the lit off and puts a lemon on top.

“Well, that’s cool” Tyler says taking a sip of his beer. I take a sip of mine. He is looking at me now. I read on Cosmo that guys love to see girls drink beer. They feel more comfortable if the girl knows how to drink . The baseball game is on. Classic, Red Sox vs. Yankees, my favorite team is the Red Sox.They suck but what the hell.

“Do you like baseball?” I ask Tyler. Wow, this hot guy has just entered the room. He has blue eyes and shiny wavy brown hair. He is smoking hot.

“Yeah, I play baseball. I tried out this year for the baseball team….” I’m not even listening to what Tyler is saying. Oh God he is walking toward us. He’s really tanned, has a sky blue t-shirt that says: Billabong with this super nice jeans and the shoes are Nike. He knows how to dress.