4. I Feel Like A Giant Mystery Myself...And Now I'm Adding Him Into The Mix

Chapter 4

I Feel Like A Giant Mystery Myself…And Now I’m Adding Him Into The Mix

“Emmy, what’s been up with you all day?  It’s like you’re on autopilot or something.”

The direct question snapped me out of my daze and my eyes met Drake’s from across the table at dinner later that night.  “Nothing.  I’ve just been…a little preoccupied.”

None of them seemed to believe me.  Drake and Jason eyed me suspiciously and Mom’s eyes went to Dad, silently asking him something.  He nodded slightly and her eyes widened as she looked back at me. 

“So you never told us about this morning at the museum.  How’d it go?” she asked Dad then, though something in her voice told me that she wanted other answers from me.

“Just like I thought it was going to go.  The meeting with Dr. Lavoie was to assure that everything came and nothing was damaged.  We also had to go over what was happening tomorrow.  I’m supposed to run some tests on one of the da Vinci’s.  I’m not due until earlier afternoon, so if you all want to go with me…”

“Totally,” Jason nodded. 

“It might be an hour or two before you all can come back, but I’m sure you can find something to do.  I’ve got a meeting before and he’ll be there when I run the tests…”

Again, there was that questioning look from Mom, which he answered with another slight nod. 

“What about you, Em?” she asked me then.  “What did you do?  Walk around some of the exhibits?”

“At least you didn’t get kidnapped again,” Drake snorted.

“I pretty much went through the entire museum,” I answered.  “I wanted to see if anything would…jog some memories, I guess…”

“And did it?”

Dad’s eyes were glued to me and he smiled slightly.  Had he been watching over me like he’d said he would when I went into the room where I’d been kidnapped a year before?  Did he see me talking to…?

“Do you know anyone by the name of John Raymond?”

Dad’s gaze never wavered, Mom choked on her sip of wine, Jason did the same on his forkful of chicken, and Drake’s fork landed with a loud clatter against his plate. 

I’ll take that as a yes.

It wasn’t just their reactions that got me either.  My own, saying his name for the first time out loud instead of just in my head, startled me, too.  A sense of longing rushed through me as my throat closed up. 

“You do, don’t you?”

Mom stuttered.  “Yes, I…I think…”

“Well, then, who is he?” I asked.  “It’s obvious you know him…”

“We know of him,” she continued.  “But not really…”

I wasn’t buying that, especially since she was the only one speaking.  Dad was just looking at me still and Drake and Jason were glaring. 

“Why do you ask, Emmy?” Mom asked then. 

“Because I met him today…and I can’t help but wonder…”

“Wonder what?”

I shook my head.  “That I knew him before.”

 ***