Prologue

5 months earlier - August

The sun's heat was radiating warmth on my skin. Oh, I loved summer. People were walking the bustling streets of Atlanta like a bunch of zombies, and I felt bad for them. They were all on their phones, running into one of the many buildings for work, etc. None of them enjoying the moment. All stuck in their own little bubble.

I closed my eyes surrendering myself to this bliss. It was almost like a dream. Everything was so perfect and right in my life. Starting college in the fall, working my way up in the art studio, I may even become the head teacher soon! My family life was going great, too. My mom and dad have been gone for a few weeks on a cruise, which was good, they needed it. I've been taking care of my younger brother, Blake, while they're gone and he hasn't been as irritating as usual, which I'm extremely grateful for.

And to top all of this perfection off - I have a loving boyfriend, Mike. We've been dating for two years now, ever since I was seventeen. He's literally everything I've ever wanted. He treats me like a princess, calls me beautiful, makes me laugh. He's considerate, caring, funny, athletic, and he loves me. I couldn't believe it. Like everyone, he does have his faults. He can be overbearing, overprotective, and the thing I dislike the most - clingy. But, I know it's only because he loves me.

I pull my knees onto the bench him and I are sitting on and hug them to my chest as he wraps his arms around me. It just can't get any better than this.

"I have something for you." He whispered sneakily in my ear.

I couldn't help but let out a small squeal of excitement. I love surprises.

"What is it?"

He pulled a box oh-so-slowly out of his pocket just to torture me. Jerk. I grabbed his forearm groaning and tugging trying to get him to get it out faster, but he wouldn't budge. He was too strong.

Curse you, muscles!

"Okay, okay." He chuckled and handed me the small, suede box.

I bit my lip, opening it to see a ring inside. It was beautiful, but gaudy for my liking. It looked like one of those rings that men in the Army or Marines give their wifes. The band was gold with swirly designs all along it and placed on the top was a large, blue emerald.

"What.. w-what is this?"

"Calm down, sweetie. It's just a promise ring." He assured grinning foolishly, "here, put it on."

I plastered a fake smile on my face and placed the bulky ring on my finger. It looked much too big for my small hand, but I wanted him happy, so I acted pleased.

"I love it." I said trying to sound convincing.

It's the thought that counts, Jeez, stop being such an ungrateful bitch. My mind snapped at me.

"I knew you'd love it." He squeezed me next to him. "I just got it for you, to let you know that this," he gestured between us, "is forever. I'm not letting you go. I love you Erin Blaire Clark."

I was happy then. It's funny how quickly that feeling can be torn from you. A week later I understood why all those people refuse to be happy; why they were scared to be happy. The possibility that it can be taken away at any moment.

A week. That's all the time I had before my happiness was ripped from me in the form of drugs, drinks, a pistol, and a boy I thought I loved.

I found out Mike was a dealer. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal. We would drink together and smoke every now and again so I couldn't really judge. I never did anything harder than weed or alcohol and I thought he didn't either, but I was wrong. It started with catching him in the bathroom or kitchen snorting a line, then it escalated into walking in on him shooting drugs through a needle in his arm. I cried, told him I would help him, but he said he didn't need help. It's terrible seeing the one you love drown themselves into a state of unconsciousness.

Why would he feel the need to do these things? Was I not good enough for him? Was I the reason he was ruining himself?

Questions ran through my head everyday making me insane, but I stayed by him. That was, until I saw him kill.

I remember the crazy look in his eye when he pulled the trigger to the innocent man on his knees, pleading for his life. That man had a family. A wife, a kid, parents. He got mixed in with the wrong crowd and Mike ended his life, only because he hadn't paid what he owed.

I was disgusted with him and myself. How could I have I loved a monster? How could I not see he was a monster?

He still wanted to be with me after that, told me it wasn't a big deal and we could work through it. Like any sane person, I refused.

At first.

He beat me that night, threatened my family. Told me I was his and only his, and that I didn't dare disrespect or leave him. Thankfully for me, he was an idiot and believed me when I promised to stay. I went back to my parents house like I always did, but this time, I packed my backpack and left.

If I had stayed, my family would've been in more danger and I would've been miserable. Stuck pretending to love someone who was the reason I had nightmares. But, if I ran, Mike would be too busy chasing me to think twice about my family.

So far, he hasn't caught me. But, I don't ever think I'll be able to quit running.

Characters

Erin Blaire clark - Imogen Poots

Nicholas Dean (ace) Carson - Douglas Booth

Michael Hastings - Dan Dehaan

How do you like it? It's a bit rough but I promise it gets way better.

I have crazy plot twists and ideas for this story so stick around!

Comment and vote, please!

Xo

Mercy