Nightmare: Chapter 3

(ATTENTION:  This book is now available at many online bookstores.  Check it out at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Own-Worst-Nightmare-Heather-McGhee/dp/0983893403/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315515302&sr=8-1

And on Facebook:     http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Own-Worst-Nightmare/135772666518953?ref=ts&sk=wall

You will only get to enjoy 5 unedited chapters here on Wattpad.  Contact me through Wattpad if you have any questions.)

Chapter 3 

"That must be her now," Henry Watson said, rising to his feet as the outer door opened and slammed shut. "Christ, Lily! What have you been doing?" the man exclaimed when his daughter appeared in front of him.

Lily Watson glanced at her father, ignoring Bryce. "Number eleven had a leak. I was helping Emilio dig out the pipe trench."

This was Lily Watson? Bryce stared at the woman. Mud covered her jeans and work boots, and she had a dark smudge on her forehead, crusting the hair that fell into her eyes. Her dark brown hair hung down her back in a loose ponytail and her eyes were so pale that the blue almost shone like crystals. Her tanned skin and muscular limbs did not seem to fit the china doll features of her face. Freckles scattered across her nose, and a small scar stood out on her chin.

She was surreal.

Bryce forced his eyes away from the way her sweaty tank top clung to her breasts and discovered her watching him. A small smile played in the corners of her lips. Full, pouty lips.

"You could have at least cleaned up a bit before coming in," the older man was saying. Lily turned her attention to him and asked, "Why?"

"Why? Because we have a visitor."

"You've never cared before," she announced, dropping into one of the chairs.

Mr. Watson sighed and said, "My apologies, Mr. King. Lily is a bit of a tomboy. She's been playing in the dirt since I could remember."

Lily tilted back in her chair and raised a dirty hand to him. "Nice to meet you, Mr. King."

He hesitated a moment before grasping her fingers, and she smirked at him. "The pleasure is all mine."

She raised an eyebrow. "He speaks."

"Lily," her father began. She directed that eyebrow at him, "Yes?"

Bryce realized that he still held her hand and he reluctantly let it go. He sat in the other chair beside her, consciously aware of how she crossed her legs, lazily swinging a mud-encrusted boot. Henry returned to his desk chair, glaring at his daughter.

"So Mr. King," she said to him. "Why are you here?"

"I beg your pardon?"

Her father continued his heated glare, but allowed her to speak. "You already own the company. Why the visit? Guys like you don't usually take the time to visit every company you destroy, do you?"

Pouty lips or no. This woman had a bite. "A courtesy visit," he replied smoothly.

"Do you use that word a lot, Mr. King? It sounds so callous when you say it."

"Lily, that's enough," her father finally commanded.

Bryce raised a hand. "No, Mr. Watson. Your daughter has a strong mind. She has the right to exploit it."

Henry Watson leaned back in his desk chair and gave him that "I warned you" look. Bryce ran a multi-million dollar business that employed thousands of people. Surely he could handle one little, mud-splattered girl. The girl rotated in her seat and bowed over the armrest in a challenge. The neckline of her shirt dipped just enough to give him a peek of tanned, twin swells, but he was wise enough to look with only half an eye and kept the rest of his gaze on her face.