Chapter Eighteen

The unspoken tension between Hayes and I was intensifying as the weeks went by. He told me he was here for me, but I knew going against his family was hard for him. The trial was just 2 days away and the closer it got, the less sleep I got. Hayes visits became less frequent but he still tried. The wasn't really anything for us to talk about besides the trial but we both legally weren't allowed to discuss it. Which meant when we were together there were a lot of long awkward pauses.

I was currently sitting in Hayes' arms in silence as his hands ran up and down my arm. There were no words spoken which I was almost grateful for. I knew he was stressed because the entire time the muscles in his forearm stayed tensed. "How are you feeling?" Hayes asked me after a few minutes. I sighed deeply, "I've been better" I admitted. "Don't worry by Friday this will all be over" He told me kissing the top of my head.

I wished that was actually true. We both knew that this was never going to be over. Either way whether Nash is found guilty or not this trial was going to rip us all apart and we both knew it. "Let's hope so" I said before shutting my eyes, trying to get some well needed rest.

I woke up the next day to my parents telling me I had a last minute meeting with my lawyer before the trial. He wanted to go through all the possible questions they are going to ask me when I testify on Friday.

As I spoke the words, I tried to numb myself of what I was saying so I didn't feel as guilty. "Now as long as you tell them what you just told me, there is no way Mr Grier won't be found guilty" My lawyer informed me which was meant to calm me but in reality just made me more anxious.

"Because you're both minors it's going to be a tough trial, so prepare yourself for a stressful day tomorrow" He told me as he stood up and I nodded. "Thanks so much" I said giving him a weak smile.  He turned around when he got to the door. "Get some rest okay? Big day tomorrow" He said before leaving.

I closed the door before going into the kitchen to my parents. "What did he say?" She asked me. "Nothing really, we just went over what I was going to say" I told them leaning against the counter. "Are you okay honey?" My Mom asked and I rolled my eyes. That's all everyone ever asked me now, how I was doing, am I okay. It was getting unbearable, of course I'm not okay I'm about to accuse the one person I've ever loved of a crime he didn't commit and I'm in too deep to fix it.

"You know, as okay as you can be the night before a trial" I said shrugging. "Everything's going to be okay, this case is black and white, there's no way you won't win" They told me and I nodded. "I think I'm just going to go to bed" I told them, wanting to get out of this situation.

I dragged myself up the stairs, just wanting to get the next day over with. I strolled into my room just as my phone began to ring. "Hello?" I answered. "Hey" The other voice said in a hushed tone. I instantly recognized it as Hayes'. "Hey" I said the sound of his voice bringing a smile to my face.

"I know the last few weeks have been rough and it probably won't be the same after tomorrow, but I want you to know that I love you and I'm going to fight for us, even if it means I never speak to my brother again okay?" He said still in a hushed tone.

I let the words sink in for a moment. "No it's not okay" I told Hayes a few tears coming down my face. "What?" He said confusion clear in his tone. "It's not okay Hayes, I've messed up your life enough already, I'm not going to let you ruin your relationship with your family" I said my voice croaking slightly. "But.." Hayes protested. "No Hayes..I'll see you tomorrow okay?" I said hanging up before he got a chance to say anymore.

This is kind of a filler, next chapter will be the Trial.