My Life Revisited

I wiggle my toes while watching a rerun of my favorite television show Cake Boss. I twirl my necklace around my index finger absentmindedly, something I always do when I’m a little bored. I am relaxing on my plush sofa with my feet up on the coffee table. I reach over for my iced coffee on the table and take a sip. Delicious. I love the coffees from the bakery down the block. They have a wonderful sitting area outside where I go with my co-worker, Janie. We make small talk over coffee and biscotti during our lunch hour.

         My cat Sesame jumps on the couch and settles himself on my lap. I pet him and he begins to purr. He closes his eyes as I scratch his head and underneath his chin. Meow, he said. I smiled as I looked down into his trusting sea green eyes. I got Sesame about a year ago as an older cat at a shelter. I was looking for a companion, someone to keep me company at my new place. I started playing with all the younger kittens that were out and about in the play room. I liked them all but fell in love with Sesame as soon as I saw him in his cage against the far wall. He looked up at me with those same soft green eyes. His coat was entirely black except for a white spot right under his nose. It was love at first sight.

        I need to use the bathroom but because my cat was on me I hold it in for as long as I can. After a few more minutes, I can't anymore so I pick him up and gently place him on the space next to me. He stretches and meows as if in protest of my moving him. I laugh, and make my way down the hallway to the bathroom.

         I wake up to the clinking sound of Sesame’s food bowl. I check my cell for the time: 12:42 am. God, I love the weekend. I turn off the television that was featuring Kim Kardashian on a lunch date with her momager, Kris. I feel around for my slippers, and switch the light off in the living room. I'm tired, and head to my bedroom to collapse into a deep sleep I had been looking forward to all week. I place my cell phone on the night table and feel around for my spray bottle of scented lavender. I spritz it on my pillowcase to enjoy the scent as I fell asleep. I found the tip in my favorite magazine. I dreamt I was running through a garden with beautiful flowers whose petals closed at the touch of my finger.

         I wake up to the sound of birds chirping outside my window. The sunlight beams a ray that spreads across my sheet covered body. I yawn and turn over to check my phone. I have three unread text messages from Janie.

Janie: Hey

Janie: I know it’s early but wanna go hiking?

Janie: Decided to go last minute. I’ll pick you up. Hope you’re awake :)

        The last text was time stamped five minutes ago so I decided hey why not. I let her know I just woke up and I'll getting ready soon. So I get up and my feet sink into my fluffy white rug. I was mindful of how good it feels under my feet and was almost too lazy to move. After a minute or so I'm in the shower and rubbing away the sleepiness from my eyes. The showerhead feels so good spraying against the back of my neck and down my back. I turn off the water and went back to my room. I grab a pair of jean shorts and a t-shirt from my bedroom drawer. I check my reflection in the vanity mirror above. Yikes, better put a tinted moisturizer on at least, I think. I pull some socks on and tie the bright pink laces of my Nikes. I comb my hair and put it up into a ponytail. Sesame comes to greet me and rubbed up against my bare calves.

         “I know you’re hungry Sesame. I’ll be right there, baby,” I cooed.

        I grab my baseball hat and jog to the kitchen, excited to see Janie. I washed Sesame’s bowls real quick and filled one with fresh water and the other with some dry food. Sesame came bounding in the kitchen as soon as he heard me filling his food bowl.

        I make a quick breakfast for myself: toasted bagel and spread the inside with peanut butter and topped it off with sliced banana.  I pour a glass of orange juice for myself and sit at my kitchen table with my phone. I scroll through my Facebook app. There is a bunch of stuff from the pages I follow, mostly animal rights group like Peta, Compassion Over Killing, and Farm Sanctuary. My screen lights up and Janie’s picture comes up. Janie and I had met each other at the advertising firm we both work for. We formed a close friendship during the year I’ve lived here.