Swimming

The decor consisted of modern furniture and color combinations of gray, white, and lime green. It was gorgeous in person. A queen bed was against the wall, a long desk next to it. The sliding glass doors to the right of the bed led out to the balcony, the bathroom door across from them. A tiny lamp perched on top of the dresser against the far wall. I went to it, clicking the light on. A steady, warm glow shone over the wingback chair underneath it. I was tempted to snuggle into the heavy throw carelessly tossed over the chair’s back and forego the swimming party altogether.

But the splashing and yelling of the boys was irresistible and I changed quickly into my one piece bathing suit. Grabbing a plush towel from the bathroom closet. Oh my gosh the bathroom! I hurried down the stairs.

“Lindy!” my mother called from her new office. “Where are you going?”

“Swimming. I already told you, Mom.”

“Don’t you think you should unpack and get settled in?”

“Mom, please!”

“Well, alright,” Mom said, coming around the corner with her arms crossed. She did not look happy. “But don’t stay out too late. I expect you and Grady to be in early tonight. I’m holding your responsible if you’re late.”

“But Mom, I can’t make Grady do anything!” I argued with her. I didn’t think it was fair of her to make me guard Grady. He wasn’t my responsibility. And he never listened to me anyway.

“Early.” Mom warned with a stab of her finger before disappearing into her office once more.

I stomped out the door in a bad mood, but I was sure it wasn’t anything a dip in the pool couldn’t fix.

I think the boys had successfully splashed the majority of the water out of the pool. More of it appeared to be outside the pool than what was left in it. The entire surrounding surface was soaking wet, full of standing puddles. I found a dry chair in the far corner and carefully placed my folded towel on it.

“Hey, Lindy! Come on in!” Ryder called. He dunked Grady, who laughed, shaking his head.

Hardyn sighed from his relaxed position on a nearby float. He appeared cool and aloof, but from the way he peeked periodically at Grady and Ryder, I got the feeling he desperately wanted to join in and just didn’t know how.

The heat of the day enveloped me as I waded to the pool’s edge, kicking up waves of water as I walked. Already, the inch or so of water covering the tile was warm, sucking heat from the hot surface. The boys paid me no attention, intent on ducking each other while Hardyn reclined in his chair, eyes closed and hands behind his head.

I took a deep breath of the humid, sticky air and jumped in. The cold water rushed over my head, refreshingly cool against my skin. I came to the surface, attempting to wipe the water away from my eyes without rubbing out my contacts.

“So one more guy,” Ryder said as he grabbed a pool noodle, tucking it under his armpits as he kicked his way around the edges. It looked as if every noodle, float, and pool toy in the cabana had been thrown in the water. Grady, too, helped himself to a noodle, but he used it to fight with Ryder, who quickly wielded his own in defense.

“Yep, one more,” I said, watching Grady carefully. He had that look on his face again. Like he knew more than he was letting on.

“So what do you think of Nashville so far?” Hardyn asked. We all turned to him, astonished. We couldn’t believe he had actually spoken.

“I like it here,” Grady said. He was the first to speak, as usual. He was good with thinking on his feet, unless he was lying. “I didn’t think I would, but so far it’s great. I can’t wait to get to work.”

“Good,” Ryder said as he exchanged a glance with Hardyn. “Because you’re going to get to do a lot of it.”

“Yeah, if you’re not working, you’re training,” Hardyn spoke again.

“What about you, Lindy? Do you like it?” Ryder asked. I treaded water. If I craned my head the right way, I could still see the studio building rising up behind the houses.

“I think so,” I said slowly. “I mean, it seems too soon to say for sure. And I don’t know anyone here.”

“You know us,” Ryder grinned.

I smiled back in response. “Well, yeah, but I don’t know anyone else. I have a feeling you’re all going to be busy most of the time anyway.”

“I think Bridge probably has a sister or brother around your age.”

“My age?” I asked, confused. I was surprised to discover we had floated away from the others. Grady was attempting to climb aboard his own float, though it continued to flip over, taking him into the water along with it.

“Yeah, you’re what, twelve?”

I swallowed hard. “Actually, I’m only a year younger than Grady.”

“Oh,” Ryder said. “Sorry, you just seemed so young. You kind of give off that kid sister vibe, you know?” He leaned over, ruffling my hair. I had never been more embarrassed in my life.

Kid sister vibe?

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****