Six

* This chapter may contain grammatical errors and typos. *

* * * * * *

“Sorry, Dana. Omegle sounds fun, but I think I’ll pass for now,” I lied. Omegle wasn’t fun. It was filled with freaks. Sex-hungry freaks, that is. Notice how I didn’t say sexy, hungry freaks? Well, that’s another reason why I don’t want to go on Omegle.

Sure, my ideal other half may be lurking around that website, but who’s to say that the person I was talking to had a sound mind? I don’t want to insult anyone, but it’s not impossible to meet a crazy person online.

“Oh? Why not?” she asked. Great, now I have to think of a good reason why I don’t want to go on Omegle.

I sighed deeply and told the truth. “I don’t think Omegle’s for me. There’s too many freaks on it!”

She scoffed. “Pssh! Omegle’s not for anyone! It doesn’t serve a purpose except to get off or be freaks like everyone else. It’s for fun.” I didn’t know what to say so I just nodded.

“Well, I don’t know what to say to that.” I really didn’t. I quickly thought of an excuse. “Maybe next time?” I asked.

“Fine,” she huffed in a deadpan tone.

Just as I was about to extend on my poor excuse, the bell rang for the next period. We get two lunch periods everyday because juniors and sophomores don’t have a homeroom period. I can’t believe a whole hour went by that quickly.

“Oh,” I exclaimed standing up with my plate in my hand. I really didn’t want to deal with Dana’s question. “I gotta get to math class. I’ll see you later?” I asked. She nodded mindlessly before turning away to get her stuff ready. I grabbed my bag and stepped away from the table to throw my plate away.

“Jay!” someone shouted as they came running towards me.

“What’s up, Mina?” I asked.

“Did you finish the calc homework?” My eyes flew open at the sudden realization. I’m sure it’s happened to a lot of people. When you’re doing homework and you come across a question that you just don’t know how to answer so you leave it for later. Well I did… and I forgot to answer it.

Saying you don’t understand that question won’t count as an excuse either. Because I have math class after lunch, the teacher expects me to go to her during lunch to get help. Otherwise, I’m screwed, which I am.

“Fûck!” I cursed.

“Jay Baker, watch your language!” someone scolded. My body froze at the familiar voice. It was the dean, Mr. Kane. I nodded in understanding and my head fell, my cheeks filling with blood.

If there’s anything I hate, it’s being scolded or pointed out. I mean, I know I’m not a perfect human being and that I make mistakes, but who doesn’t hate getting in trouble? Mina continued to follow me to class as I kept walking.

Oh right, I haven’t introduced Mina yet. Mina is Mylene’s ‘bestest friend in the whole wide world’. Seriously, they’re inseparable. Their families are so close-knit together that you’d think they’re related to each other! I remember before that they were able to get me to believe that they were cousins. I didn’t even doubt it. They just told me they were and I believed it.

Anyway, I might be somewhat close friends with Mylene, but it doesn’t mean that I have the same type of relationship with Mina. Through all the times I’ve known her, she’s one mean bítch, but recently, her attitude changed for some reason and now she’s redeeming herself. I still can’t bring myself to completely trust her though.