Set it Free

45 days since Seth's departure

"Kyla. Are you hearing yourself right now," I question her as she simply flops onto her bed shrugging. Hail and I exchange glances. Hail's eyes were glazed over with worry. Ever since Seth got on that plane Kyla has become a completely different person. No she didn't go all typical left behind girlfriend, or fake girlfriend in her case. She stopped goofing around as much as she used to. She lost her luster, her sarcastic edge. It's almost as if Seth took it all to New York with him. None of us know what to do because it's not as if she's gone all sappy movie marathon with tubs of Ben and Jerry's and a hint of tears. 

That would be too normal for Kyla.

"Prom is a pointless ploy created by society and Hollywood to break teenage girls hearts and get them pregnant at the same time. I'd rather not be a part of that," Kyla replied. 

"What about Dylan? You two are dating correct," Hail points out.

Kyla shakes her head, "We're currently in a huge fight because he thinks I'm not over Seth. Which is totally not true. Plus he's going to be out of town. Going to Prom is overrated anyways guys."

"But you went last year with Cedric and had a blast! Why can't you go this year with us and not feel the same?" Hail is pulling at straws here bringing up Cedric. Granted he is becoming a bit more receptive to the treatments, the end remains bleak. 

Kyla sits up looking at us as if the answer is branded on our foreheads. 

"He was my boyfriend. That's different," Kyla mutters averting her gaze quickly to the ground. 

Taking in a deep breath I take a seat beside her on the bed. "I know Kyla." I say under my breath just enough for the room to hear. Kyla looks up at me a bit confused but a bit concerned as well. 

"It's Warren and Debbie isn't it." 

A withheld sob escapes from my mouth but I quickly stop more from following biting my cheek hard enough to draw a bit of blood. To be honest when Warren brought Debbie to Seth's goodbye party at first I was pissed he invited someone to our private goodbye to one of our best friends. Then as the night drew on I became upset rather than peeved. All I wanted to do was scream at him for not seeing that I still love him and how much seeing him flirt shamelessly in front of me killed me. 

"Kyla. I know how it feels to love someone so much that when they leave you have no fucking clue what to do. It's funny how when you have that person you don't realize this but once they're ripped from your grasp you-you become lost." 

Hail sits down beside me, sandwiching me between the two of them. She places a comforting hand on my arm.

"Lily told me that Warren told Dan that he was planning something huge to ask Debbie to Prom. What could I have done for that to be me?" 

"Tell him everything," Hail replies. "It's not too late you know."

I shake my head and laugh a little. "Trust me I'm far too late." 

Kyla shifts around becoming more focused in the conversation, clearly this has taken Seth off her mind for the time being. 

"It's our senior year. This is the time to make memories and do things we might regret in the morning. It's the time for mistakes. So you're going to Prom and you're going to talk to Warren." Hail finishes a big smile on her face. 

"Yeah not so sure about the whole me going to Prom idea," Kyla starts but Hail glares at her. "I guess it is our last Prom. Alright I'll go."