Part 11: Ashton

Playlist: Take it Back by Ed Sheeran, Photograph by Ed Sheeran, I’m a Mess by Ed Sheeran, End Up Here by 5 Seconds of Summer, Everything I didn’t Say by 5 Seconds of Summer, Close as Strangers by 5 Seconds of Summe, Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer, One by Ed Sheeran (I was in an Ed and 5SOS mood lol)

(Author’s note:Hey everyone, I know I haven’t posted in a while… I was away on holiday and when I came back I’ve been kind of busy but I will try to post regularly SOON!

This is just a quick note; the beginning of this chapter is overlapping with the end of last chapter which means that we will see things from Ash’s point of view. The fact that there will be a few details that Mia does not describe in the last chapter is because her mind isn’t as clear as Ashton’s because she is drunk. Hope this makes sense and that you guys like it!!)

 “Tonight’s show was definitely the best!” Calum said as they stepped into the bus after coming out of the venue. Ashton smiled at how energetic he was jumping up the steps. He understood though, he still felt his blood pumping with adrenaline and he had to admit he missed this feeling. He missed playing their shows.

“Great start to tour.” Luke said, setting down his acoustic guitar and walking past Cal towards the back of the bus. The rest of them followed him, Michael carrying a box of left over pizza behind me. As they sat down he realized that even though a lot had changed, they were still the same lads with each other. No matter what had happened in LA, this was where Ashton wanted to be.

The trip back to the hotel was short, filled with insignificant conversation and lots of laughter about what had happened on stage. The best story of the night was that Michael had gotten so excited with one of his guitar solos that he accidentally unplugged Luke’s microphone. It had made everyone laugh.

“They just don’t give up.” Luke said with a smile as he saw the group of girls waiting outside the hotel. Every day they would be there, not always the same but there were a few faces that were unmistaken able.

“Let’s go meet them.” Mikey said, jumping to his feet and grabbing his phone from the table before he began to make his way towards the other end of the bus.

“I’ll be right out guys, I want to leave some things on my bunk for tomorrow.” He said as the other three guys left the bus one by one.

His phone felt heavy in his pocket as he grabbed his backpack from the front of the bus and began to take out his headphones and his phone chargers. Essentials he would not remember in the morning when he knew he would be half asleep. His phone hadn’t been turned back on since he had sent that text, still trying to ignore his wondering mind from questioning if she had read his message or if she had even replied at all.

As he made his way away from the beds, he knew he didn’t have to stare too hard out the bus window to recognize Mia talking to one of the security guards. He saw the other guys taking pictures with fans when she stumbled slightly on her way past the security guard and towards the lobby entrance.

He didn’t think twice before hurrying down the steps. The second he was out, the sounds of screams and his name being called filled his ears. Arms reached out to hold him back as he tried to avoid the papers and pens being put in his face and the sea or camera flashes.

“I’ll come back later, girls.” He murmured, not meaning it. Not looking at them; his eyes were only focused on one girl. The only girl he had been able to think about for days.

“Ashton! Ashton! What’s wrong?” Calum screamed as Ashton hurriedly made his way, following her every step.

“There’s something I need to do. I’ll be back, I promised.” He said in a rush, pushing Calum’s worried hands away as he ran into the lobby, his eyes searching for her until he finally caught sight of her stumbling into the elevator. He practically ran her way, silently praying that the doors wouldn’t close. This was the only chance he had left.

He watched as the doors began to close when he pressed the up button and saw them open again. When they did, their eyes met and for a second Ashton hesitated wondering if this was really a good idea.

He took a step inside anyway, pressing their floor number and watching as she shied away. His heart sinking at how she seemed to not want to even be physically close to him anymore, she obviously had not thought he would come inside with her there.

He hated the silence; hated that her eyes hadn’t looked at him since he had stood beside her. It was as if he didn’t even exist.

“Hey…” He finally murmured softly, completely turning his body so he could look at her better. His hazel eyes studied her face carefully before he took in all of her. Her every curve, the softness of her skin; he wanted to hold her, to touch her…

She didn’t speak though, her chocolate brown eyes continued to stare at him until she took an unsteady step forward before furiously pressing the floor button repeatedly.

“Careful there… Did you get my text?” He asked quietly, not moving an inch from where he stood.

“Doesn’t matter if I did… A text doesn’t mean anything.” She finally said, her words angry as they slurred off her tongue. His brows furrowed as a realization dawned on him.

“Are you drunk, Mia?” He asked, his hand gently reaching for her arm as an attempt to steady her as she clumsily tried to move away from him again.

“Why do you care?” She asked, probably not expecting an answer but the way she said the words hurt him just as badly as if she had cursed at him.

“I do care about you, Mia… I’m your-“ His words cut midsentence as he looked towards the ground, no longer watching her body as she leaned against the elevator wall for support. Was he really about to say that they were friends? Were they even really friends? He hadn’t acted like one since he had allowed her to walk away from his bedroom that night.

When his eyes returned t her face, she seems as if he had physically slapped her, anger quickly taking over her features once again as he spoke. “Friends care about each other…”

“Oh, so now you care? Now that we are about to go our separate ways you decide to talk to me? That’s real funny, Ashton. Really cute from your part, you know?” She screamed, her hands rising over her head in anger as she spoke word after word.

Ashton stared at her outburst in disbelief, not because he didn’t deserve her screaming at him or because what she was saying was not true, but because he had never seen this side of her.

“Mia, come on… Just hear me out.” He begged her, taking a step towards her just as the elevator doors opened. He couldn’t let her walk away again, not this time. “Just let me explain…”

His pleading eyes met hers as she took a step away from his hand as he reached for her. He could feel her slipping away, every memory from the past few weeks just simply vanishing right in front of him as she spoke again.

“Just fuck you, Ashton.” She yelled at him. The sick feeling in his stomach grew as she glared at him for a second longer before she turned away and stepped out of the elevator.

He couldn’t move, couldn’t find anything else to say. Shock left him standing there as he watched her walk down the hallway, his hand holding the elevator doors open. She wanted nothing to do with him. The girl that had turned his world upside down didn’t care about him. He was dead to her and he was the only one to blame.

“Happy birthday, Mia…” he murmured to himself as he finally made his way towards his room. He heard the door open and close; he knew that was it. Even if she regretted those words when she became sober in the morning, he knew that in this moment they had come from an honest place.

(Author's Note #2: Okay so this chapter was a little shorter, I promise next time will be an Ashton one as well and it will be uploaded soon!! :D)