History to the Mystery

There was no way they were going to let it slide. If it was a first offense, maybe, but it was her fifth one this month, not counting Flick. The Wish Agency, or WA for short, would claim she officially had six strikes, but she was going to be adamant it was only five and pray for the mercy they were steeped in.

“That was pretty nootey, huh?”

Caspar's comment brought her back to the real world and she blinked twice, trying to figure out what the heck a “nootey” was.

“Uh, what?” she asked, intelligently.

“Nootey. Combo of Nutty and Loony. Means bizzare.” he answered easily, quoting a self dictionary.

“Ah, got it. Definitely Nootey.” she nodded in agreement.

“Seriously, though. The way that mother just completely switched her-”

“Do you make word combinations often?” she asked, cutting him off. She didn't want to talk about Liza or her stupid, ungrateful mother. She didn't want to think about what the WA was going to say or do, and she most certainly didn't want Casper thinking about it too much. He was the sharp kind of kid, and those types always figure out more than they ought to in a faster amount of time than they should.

“I guess. I just think there are some things we don't have one word for. Some things that can only be described with a few combined,” he said, thoughtfully. “Besides, people create words, and I'm people. I've got the same right as anybody.” He finished off with a smile.

“Yeah, I think I get what you mean,” Amy said, grinning back at him.

He was like that. Contagious. One flick of the lip, and she felt an instant surge of happiness in her chest. She had never met anyone like Casper before, and she continued to be unsettled by him. It wasn't just the boyish charm, the good looks or the adorable personality. That's what made a normal amazing guy, and those she could handle. There was something deeper about him that she felt similar to, like at the core they were the same. She hadn't really noticed it at the time, but thinking back she remembered his reaction to Liza. How his face creased with worry and his eyes filled with a sudden despair. The only difference was, he couldn't have done anything to help her. It was a look of total helplessness, something the old her could have easily identified with. Amy couldn't help but feel like she had just stumbled upon a treasure, and even though she had to, she never wanted to let go.

“It's getting dark, we better head home.” That was her cue. He was saying goodbye, and she had to ask him for his wish so she could get on with the next person. She clenched her fist, holding onto the digits that led to him as tightly as she could.

She nodded silently, desperate to find another way. Amy led him on a different route, one that took triple the time. She was stalling, but now for a totally different reason. The apartment was ready with the room mate waiting by the window for her to arrive, but Amy needed a new plan. One that didn't involve a goodbye.

When they were only a few blocks away from the address, she was still completely out of ideas. What good was a brain if it refused to work during the times you needed it most? And why was this all getting worse?

In the beginning, Amy was excellent at her job. She went in, delivered, and disappeared before they could even have the chance to look confused. But that was before she discovered how incredible some of her clients were. That was before her hormones and stupid emotions decided to get into the way. As the years went by, letting go increasingly became more and more heart breaking. They had told her it would be the opposite. The WA swore that her job would be painful the first few times, but she would get used to it. At the time of departure, she was promised she would feel numb.