1 | Give Me Heaven, Give Me Hell

• Dedicated to my cat, Olive

Crushing on Royalty

All rights reserved

Copyright © 2010 by ESchwarz

•••••

"Whoever the person the bottle points at has to go with him in the closet and --"

"And what?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes at my best friend, Viv Lennox. She just raised a golden-hued eyebrow at me, unblinking. She was clearly used to my expressions. Damn, but I really needed to practice in the mirror when I got home.

"You kiss him for seven minutes. Seven minutes. Got it?"

"Might as well be seven hours if I'll soon be trapped in a stupid closet with some random guy," I grumbled to no one in particular, lightly tapping the green bottle's bum in my hand onto the floor.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Viv shrugged. "Anyway," she continued, "it's easy. You just stay in the closet for seven minutes while kissing a guy."

"Oh jeez, Viv, it's not like I haven't heard of Seven Minutes in Heaven before!"

"Then why did you ask?" she demanded, slapping me on the arm.

"I just wanted to make sure. You know that..."

Viv's pretty blue eyes softened. She gave a little smile, giving me a quick hug as she did so. "I know. You've never kissed a guy before."

"I have!" I protested, blushing, to my dismay.

She grinned wolfishly. "To...?"

"Scotty Dressnan," I mumbled, looking away from her. "Fifth grade. Braces. Painful."

Viv laughed so hard, I thought I'd need to whack her on the back.

Truth be told, that wasn't really a kiss, was it? With Scotty Dressnan, I mean. It was kind of a kiss, yeah -- if you consider sloppy saliva (from Scotty, not me) and braces getting stuck together.

Hey. Scotty, I heard, was a hottie now. Scotty Hottie, as the saying  went. It was hard to tell since he was a total nerd before. Plus, I'd never seen him again; he'd moved to Virginia by the time seventh grade came. And I'd never bothered checking him on social media.

When we stopped laughing, Viv called out to everyone in the room and ordered them to sit down on the floor with us in a circle. This was Vivian's seventeenth birthday party. Let me just say that she had been playing Seven Minutes in Heaven without actually playing the game. She simply wanted to order people about. Yeah.

Also, boys practically fell at her feet. I was always surprised at this because that never happened to me. Not that I was bad-looking or anything...I was just pretty much sarcastic and suspicious all the time. You never know with guys and the way they think.

To give you a better picture of myself, I have light brown hair and dark green eyes with coronas of russet lashes curling on my eyelids. Also, I have this annoying dot (a cleft) on my chin that I'd never be able to erase in a million years. I was also too tall for my seventeen-year-old age.

It was a good thing I wasn't the only one who was tall -- so was Viv, who had the same five-foot-eleven height like me. I should've had a boyfriend by now, I know. But hey, I hadn't found the right person yet.

"All right, people," Viv announced, taking the bottle from me, "we are going to play Seven Minutes in Heaven. Any complaints?"

Everyone started hooting, especially the guys. No one complained, really. They were all excited. I could see girls and guys winking at each other in their places; some actually crossed their fingers as to let the bottle spin to their choices when their time came up.