2: Driving, Views, and a Magazine Article

_Chapter 2_

Zakya's POV

"Z, can you take over for me for a little bit while I get a little sleep?" Aunt Kara asked. Quite honestly, I'm surprised she lasted this long. She's been driving for 12 straight hours.

"Yea, sure." We pulled over long enough for my aunt to move to the passenger seat and me to move to the drivers seat. I was surprised my aunt had trusted me to drive but she had. That just went to show how desperate she was to get some sleep. She was out like a light and Jane was plugged in, quietly singing "We Found Love." Her voice was melodic and for lack of a better word, haunting. I found myself getting lost in the faint sounds of her exhausted voice until I felt the not-so-subtle vibrations of hitting the rumble strip. I was immediately snapped out of my own little world and greeted yet again with the reflections of city lights on windshields and the faint glow of tail lights in front of me, leading my way through Amarillo, Texas. From then, with Jane's quiet singing from the backseat, the hours seemed to pass in just minutes. "Janie?"

"Yea, Z?"

"Are we there yet?" I whined. A smile grew on Jane's tired face and she chuckled.

"I thought you were driving..." she trailed off while smirking wildly.

"Oh, shut up." I chuckled. Only then did I look at the clock and see that it was 5:27 in the morning and the high, fluffy clouds had begun to look more and more like cotton candy as the sun began to peek out on the horizon. I looked ahead to see a lookout on the side of the highway as we approached an exit to Grants, New Mexico. "Do you wanna stop at the lookout?" I questioned Jane.

"Sure, you probably need a rest and I always love watching the sunrise." Just as Jane finished her thought, we pulled into the small parking lot and immediately jumped out of the car, soaking in the fresh, warm New Mexico air. It may have only been 5:30 in the morning but the air had already been warmed and there was a steady breeze that made the experience turn all the more storybook as the sky showed the colors of the rainbow and the sun cast a steady stream of light straight through the city below. We leaned over the rail with only the sounds of birds peeping and the occasional tree rustling with the wind until the only colors left above us were the pale blue of the now cloudless sky and the brilliant yellow light cast from the sun.

"Do you want me to wake up aunt Kara and we can sle-"

"YES!" Jane cut me off, obviously desperate for sleep since she refused to not be awake while I was driving. I mean, we only almost died a few times. Isn't she supposed to be the brave one? The true test of bravery is sleeping while I'm behind the wheel but bless her for staying awake or I probably would have driven straight off the side of the highway. We both dragged our now, barely conscious bodies back to the car and woke my aunt. She gladly took over, obviously refreshed from her short, 6 hour rest. Jane and I both fell asleep to the comforting rumble of the open road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane's POV

"How long were we out for?" I asked Kara as she continued to drive, though you could see excitement on her face.

"You guys were asleep for 8 hours; slept right through Arizona." She said with a huge smile. We had made good time.

"So we are in California?!?" Zakya questioned. I dope slapped her on the back of the head.

"No, we are in Narnia." I said with a duh expression on my face, earning me a mix between a glare and a smile from Z. Eventually the smile broke through.

"Hey, Aunt Kara?." Z said with a frighteningly mischievous smile on her face.

"Yea, Z?" Kara asked, turning her head slightly so she could see Z and the road.

"Can I drive?!?" She asked, nearly bouncing out of her seat. After hearing what Z was asking, Kara replied.

"No." She said flatly while rolling her eyes, though the gesture lost some of its meaning since she was smiling. She put her full attention back on the road ahead of us.

"Please?" Z asked.

"No"

"Please?"

"No"

"PLEASE?!?"

"NO!" I couldn't help but stifle a laugh. I put my headphones in and lost myself in my music as Z and Kara continued their,......their......I don't really know what to call it anymore. I reached down into my purse and grabbed my magazine that I had bought when we stopped for food. I didn't even have time to look at the cover stories before Z had locked her eyes on one.

"Oh My Gosh! Harry Styles and Sophia Ferraro are still together! It's his longest relationship yet!" She exclaimed.

"Yes! It's been like a whole 3 days! They must be getting married!" I replied with quite obviously fake excitement about my least favorite celebrity being brought into the conversation. I hated Harry Styles with a burning passion that wasn't even describable. Zakya didn't have the appalled expression on her face that people would expect. She was far too used to my hatred.

"Can I have that magazine? I want to read the article on their relationship." She asked me.

"Yea, yea, yea. Whatever." I replied, no longer caring about the magazine and just resting my head on the window, looking at the quickly passing scenery. In case any of you wanted to know, not that you would care, there wasn't really anything Harry did that all of a sudden to make me hate him. I just stopped blinding myself to the fact that he was a conceited man-whore who wore beanies FAR too often. (Anybody not heard the rumor about why Harry wears beanies? Ask if you haven't) I quickly snapped out of my thoughts, no longer wanting to think about Harry. I shuffled my music and relaxed to Paramore as we continued to drive.

Hi! Anybody who is keeping up with this story, sorry that it's been forever. I had the entire chapter finished and then my IPhone went and deleted it. My phone and I have a love/hate relationship. I didn't edit it do if anything is wrong, let me know and if you don't know what the beanie rumor is, comment and ask. THANKS!