Chapter One

Eevee blinked her big brown eyes up at Lord Death, Curran chuckling uncontrollably beside her for a few seconds before it turned into roaring laughter. He was doubled over hugging his stomach due to the predicament Eevee had managed to place herself in. It wasn't like she had done so on purpose or meant it in a rude way. She was genuinely curious on what had happened during the two months and a half her and Curran were gone from Shibusen, and how two major developments had come to be.

She already felt like they hadn't been at the academy in forever, just like it felt as if she were meeting Lord Death for the very first time, but the news made her feel like she had just thawed out of a block of ice several years in the future. Everything she knew of Shibusen had evaporated in a blink of an eye, including everything Sid had taught them during their attending semester.

Eevee kept her eyes on her laughing partner, looking death in the face was nerve wrecking enough without having to report a failed mission to him. A month late. With freshly made iced coffee they had to swallow whole in minutes. Then she had gone and accidentally questioned his... sexuality? Race? Attractiveness? Reproductive abilities?

Okay, maybe his reproductive abilities, but she wasn't entirely sure what she had asked in the first place, or why Curran was turning blue from laughter. So, she tried to repeat her exact feelings after hearing the news: "How?"

Curran sucked in two large breaths, suppressing his laughter, and turning to Eevee with a serious look. However, the large, goofy grin was still plastered on his face when he began his explanation, much to Lord Death's displeasure.

"You see, little Eevee, when a daddy death and a mommy death love each other very muc—"

"There's a mommy death also?"

Curran was choking again, almost rolling on the floor while Lord Death's eyes narrowed. Eevee still looked just as confused as when he first told them of his son minutes ago. She could not fully understand how Lord Death could have a child of his own, near her age, within two months. Was it a death god thing? Did Little Death appear just like her target vanished, from thin air.

How—

"The how is not important," Lord Death assured her, having stopped Curran's laughter by chopping him on the head. "I would just like you two to know that my son is now enrolled in the academy, and that Stein is now one of your professors."

"Professor," Curran scoffed, massaging his skull. "The hell can he teach us; How to dissect endangered species, or fellow classmates . . . turnin' the skin to sandpaper and blood to jam?"

"That doesn't really work all that great," Eevee stated. "Are we to report out findings to Dr. Stein, too? It's not much, but we might have found something that may help solve the vanishing act. Something the others didn't seem to catch or care to reports."

"A theory, at best," Curran continued. "Lookin' for the simplest way anyone can appear and disappear in the blink of an eye. It's anticlimactic. Borin' if it's true."

Lord Death let out a thoughtful hum before answering. "But a useful theory nonetheless. And now that the target has gone into hibernation like before, there's no way to prove or disprove your theory of there being two parties involved."

"The simplest answer is usually the correct one," Eevee mumbled to herself, but of course both Lord Death and Curran heard and agreed with her statement. "Should we?"

"Mmh?"

"Report to Dr. Stein," Eevee reminded him. "Should we?"

"We should, or he'll torture it out of us," Curran explained. "It's a good thin' he's here already. Don't wanna walk to that creepy place of his—it's like a voluntary stroll to the morgue's prep room."