Introduction & Chapter 1

Introduction

In the time before time, the great god Mata Nui came down from the heavens to our island. He gave it his name and six guardians (or Toa) to protect it- Pohatu, guardian of earth; Lewa, guardian of air; Onua, guardian of rock; Gali, guardian of water; Kopaka, guardian of ice; Tahu, guardian of fire. Their monumental cryogenics canisters were stood in their villages, ready to assist Mata Nui when the time came.

            Hundreds of years later, Mata Nui’s brother Makuta (King of Shadows) had grown jealous of Mata Nui’s power. He crept up and kidnapped him, keeping him captive in the wastelands of Bara Magna. The Toa tried to save their god but their attempts were useless, until the arrival of the seventh Toa, Takanuva- guardian of light.

            Equipped with the Mask of Light, Takanuva was able to defeat and destroy Makuta’s physical being, but his soul still lived inside his Kanohi-mask of Darkness. Soon after his defeat, his mask mysteriously disappeared, leaving the Toa with a new plot to foil- the plot to resurrect Makuta.

            Whilst Takanuva left to recover the god Mata Nui, the other six Toa (led by Tahu) started the search for the missing Mask of Shadows…

 -----

“It’s no use!” grunted Pohatu, hurling another clump of rock at the boulder blocking their path, “It won’t budge.” Tahu stood up from the cavern floor.

“Patience, Pohatu.” he said calmly, “Onua will be along any minute.” Pohatu grumbled something then went to sulk in a corner; he didn’t much like the underground.

Suddenly, the two Toa heard a rumbling sound echoing off the walls. They stood up and stared into the darkness as a pair of dark green eyes stared back.

“Onua!” Tahu exclaimed. Pohatu stamped his foot impatiently.

“Finally!” he muttered as Onua stepped into the light of a fire Tahu had conjured, but something was wrong. He was panting and wheezing as if he had been running from something and there were fresh scratches in his armour. The noise from the cavern was getting louder.

            “What’s wrong, Onua?” Tahu asked impatiently. Onua looked up and said one word- “Bohrok.”

            Sure enough, the big metal beasts were rounding the corner at speed, rolling like robotic armadillos.

“Onua, the boulder!” Tahu roared over the deafening noise of their approaching enemies. Onua shook his head.

“I-can’t-do-it!” he panted. Tahu reached out with his strong hands and grabbed the rock guardian by the scruff.

“Yes you can!” he corrected, chucking Onua straight through the boulder.

            With their path no longer blocked, the Toa started to run, but the Bohrok were gaining fast. Tahu counted at least thirteen. How unlucky, he thought as the tunnel started to climb upwards. A prick of light glinted from the end. The exit was so close but so were the Bohrok. As the Toa burst out into the bright sunlight, Pohatu scooped up a boulder and wedged it in the cave opening.

            “That should hold them!” Pohatu said sighed, happy to be out in the open. Onua just collapsed in the dirt and rubbed his head.

“Did you really have to chuck me that hard?” he moaned.

“Maybe if you’d been a little more energetic, it wouldn’t have been necessary.” Tahu retorted. The trio sat in silence for a while until Pohatu decided to break the hostile mood hanging in the air.

            “So… where are we?” Tahu checked his shiny new Wrist Navigator.

“The Wrist-Nav says we’re on the west coast of Le-Koro.” he answered. Onua stood and looked over Tahu’s shoulder.

“We should head for the forest; Lewa will be waiting for us there.”

            “Twenty minutes later in the bright jungle of Le-Koro, Tahu, Pohatu and Onua stood in wait of their brother.

“S’up, Tahu!” Lewa called from the treetops, dropping down to meet them.

“You’re late.” Tahu growled. Lewa took a step back and shrugged.

“What can I say? I was attacked by a Visorak horde? I got kidnapped by Rahkshi?”

“Sorry would suffice.” Pohatu said, crossing his arms.

“Ah whatever. I’m late! It’s not the end of the world… well, not yet anyway. It’s not easy being the air guardian, you know!” Lewa complained. Onua patted him on the shoulder.

“Well at least you’re here. Now let’s stop this bickering and get this over with.”

            Before Lewa could ask, Tahu stepped forward and heaved a rucksack off his shoulders. As he unraveled the knot of strings keeping it closed, a bright gleam emitted from the inside.

“Is that…?” Lewa started, gaping at the bag in amazement. Tahu nodded.

“A golden Kanohi Mask.” he finished, smiling triumphantly, “One of seven great power masks hidden throughout Mata Nui.”

            “Not just any Golden Kanohi, I might add.” Pohatu interrupted, taking the gleaming mask from Tahu’s hands, “With this Kanohi-  and only this- the wearer can track the whereabouts of any of the great power masks; even the Kanohi Masks of the gods!”

            Tahu snatched it back and placed it back inside the rucksack.

“We must contact Kopaka and Gali immediately. Onua- use your com-link to tell them to meet us at Ta-Koro.” Onua nodded and walked off. As soon as he was finished, the Toa hopped on to their portable speeder-bikes and sped off into the distance.