Chapter One

Chapter One

~Present Day~

Ashton

My wolf was restless, constantly shifting inside of me. I sighed and opened my eyes, giving up on the sleep that avoided me the whole night. I was excited for so many reasons. I was going to be Alpha in almost no time at all, not to mention Belle was finally coming back.

I grinned and stretched like a cat before jumping out of the bed. I threw on the clothes my mother so carefully arranged for me, she insisted I look my best when I go to great Belle on her arrival; she seemed to want to set me up with every female that was from a ‘suitable’ bloodline. I gave my best to explain her she was only a friend, but I failed miserably.

“You never know how she changed during the time she was away, maybe you find yourself surprised.” She told me with a wink. I sighed; sometimes my parents didn’t act like the Alpha couple at all. It made me wonder how they managed to get into the Alpha competition finals.

My father was never one of those fathers that wanted their kid to be a prodigy. He only wanted me to do my best, and was happy with my results. My mother supported me through all of the things I had to do in my training too. Even though she didn’t look it, she was one of our packs best fighters.

Next to the two of them I had grown to be a decent future Alpha. I was proud of my progress. Ever since the day Belle left I promised myself I will never allow that brat to succeed his father as the next Head Alpha. Even if it means taking him down along with me, I’ll make sure he never ruins another life.

It has been... tough after Belle left. She had been my best friend. And she was one of the few things that kept me going when I was twelve, after the attack on my pack. I was only a kid, but what I had witnessed that day was more gruesome than anyone should handle.

She was there for me then, and that was the time I vowed to protect her. She was like a sister to me, a beloved younger sister that I would protect no matter what. But all that time ago, on that day, I failed her. And the best I could do was mess around and pretend I wasn’t miserable.

I got my revenge on that idiot. After all, the video was the most viewed shit for months. I made sure to visit her old pack regularly, only to make sure he was suffering for what he did to her. I’ve done my best to make his life a living hell, but after a while things calmed down. Like watching a sea after a storm. And there was nothing I could do to steer the water.

I didn’t only lose my friend on that day. Apparently, Annabelle, my girlfriend, decided that I was in love with Belle. Successfully ending our relationship.  It didn’t take me long to find another girlfriend though, and another. I ended every relationship after a couple of months, knowing that if I get too attached to any of them my choice at the ceremony would be influenced by my feelings. And the one sacrifice my parents ever expected me to do was to choose a suitable Luna to rule our pack by my side. It didn’t mean I was not supposed to love her though.

I quickly went down to the kitchen. My parents live in the pack house, but my sister and I moved out when we were sixteen. Well, I was sixteen, she was eighteen at the time. She always had a smile on her face, and an upbeat spirit that would never grow dim.