Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons. Love yourself, trust your choices, and everything is possible.

Gauri rushed up to her room, closed and locked the door. She flung  the balcony doors open and anxiously darted her eyes across the beach area. She finally found what she was looking for and breathed a sigh of relief.

She clutched the doorframe and slowly lowered herself to the floor. She could see him on his knees his head bent, she could feel his pain in her heart but held herself from flying out the door and running to him to ease his pain, to tell him it was all a lie. Please god, make him believe her lies, give him strength to move on. Please be there for him.

Daytona Beach, Florida

Gauri walked behind her friend without paying attention to her surroundings or the chattering of her companions. She knew Sweta would get them where they need to be.

She had voiced her appreciation of Daytona for having warm weather in middle of December when they landed in Florida  but once they were in the shuttle that would take them to their Hotel, Gauri had pulled out her digital reader and continued reading her notes.

She had been reluctant to take this one-week vacation but her brother and best friend had been relentless and once her grandmother also joined the campaign Gauri could not refuse.

It had started out with Sweta's mom registering Sweta for the three days Youth Convention without telling Sweta. It wasn't just any youth convention it was the youth convention for the young marriage age children of Indians residing all over the United States.

Purpose is to not only learn their culture, but also attend different educational seminars and then mingling in the evening dinner party getting to know everyone. To put it simply it is an opportunity for the parents to arrange their kids’ marriage without arranging it.

Sweta had outright refused to attend no matter how much her mom threatened or begged her. Finally Sweta had agreed when her mom started blaming Gauri of influencing Sweta, but with condition that she get to spend a week in Daytona not just three days. Sweta's dad had intervened and agreed. Then once Gauri's brother found out about the trip he insisted Gauri also join Sweta. He even paid for her vacation as an early birthday gift. 

"Gauri put that away, we are at the hotel." Gauri looked up when Sweta spoke and looked around. They collected their luggage and moved towards the lobby.

Sweta halted in the middle of the lobby when she saw the huge line to the check in desk. Gauri had buried her face back in her digital reader and bumped right into her friend. 

Sweta turned and caught Gauri then placed her hands on her hips to glare at Gauri. She snatched the e-reader out of Gauri's hand. "I told you to put this away." She placed the device in her own bag and when Gauri protested she held up her hand.

"Gauri we are on vacation not back at college, you can live without your books for a week." When Gauri opened her mouth to argue Sweta continued without letting her interrupt. "I know this will be your last semester and all, but all the better for you to relax. You are going to pass with flying colors."