preface

The forest was cold that night, a bitter cold. It was as if I was breathing in knives with every gasping breathe I took. Eventhough the moonlight guided my escape, the snow prevented me from seeing anything farther than two or three feet. Nevertheless I continued to run with everything I had, pounding my feet into the snow pushing myself forward. Faster, I told myself, faster faster FASTER!!!!! My legs burned and my body ached but I knew if I stopped at all, even for a moment, they would rip me apart. Only fear kept me going at this point, fear for my own wretched life. Sounds of battle and people shrieking in terror could be heard in the backround. And then there was  another sound. It cut through the air and sent shivers down to my very bones: a howl.

        "AAAAAAHHHWOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!", it screamed. This was soon followed by many others, and soon the forest was alive with what felt like hundreds of those ghostly howls. I kept running, never looking for fear that they would be upon me. But the monsters were already on my heels. I heard them padding through the frost without effort, gaining on me like phantoms. FASTER!!!!!, I shouted to myself. If I could get out of this blasted forest then I could escape. At least, that's what told myself.  

        Suddenly, I couldn't hear the footfalls anymore. They had vanished. I turned around to check and I couldn't see the shadows that had followed me. But I was still on edge. There was a strange calm that had befallan.

        The screams were far behind me. In fact, everything was far behind me. But what was everything since I never had anything to begin with? I was just an orphan moving from one shitty town to another and stealing whatever I could get my hands on. And as I was trotting through this frigid hell, I started to think of all the new hopes, new towns, new cash and new women that were coming my way. That was, of course, until a mass of fur and teeth leaped out of the darkness and attacked me.