Chapter 9: Treacherous

"You. You. You. I want you." She shouted to his face. DJ didn't know what to say, and Kathryn took it as a rejection so she stepped back and tucked her hair behind her ear. "I'm not asking for you to say the same thing." She said, but she was expecting him to say the same thing. She stared at the ground and DJ just continued to stare. He was overwhelmed. He wasn't unsure. He was just overwhelmed. "I'm going back inside." She didn't wait for DJ's answer but instead ran inside. She didn't cry, if anything she felt like a thorn was removed from her chest. She would be lying if she said that DJ's lack of reply didn't hurt but telling DJ how she felt wasn't for him, it was for her. To make herself feel better.

DJ slipped his hand inside his pockets and a smile slowly crept on his face but he didn't move. He just stood there until a hand tapped his shoulder. Kathryn's mom, Mommy Min was standing behind him, smiling. He returned the smile and then she signaled him to follow her. Mommy Min walked away from the house and led him to a big hammock. She sat there and looked at DJ and then patted the space next to her. DJ was like her son even though all DJ did before was annoy her. But that's what teenage sons do, right? It was true that she liked, oh no, loved DJ for Kathryn but her love for DJ went beyond that. The then-skinny teenage boy found a way to her heart.

"You look flabbergasted, DJ." Mommy Min said. DJ shook his head. He wanted to tell her everything. He could tell her everything. Mommy Min was one of the few people that he trusted with his life but she's Kathryn's mother, and that was enough reason for him to keep his mouth shut. Mommy Min ran her hand through DJ's hair before cupping his cheeks. "I can't believe you're a proper grown-up now."

"Me too."

"I saw what happened." DJ looked at her, shocked. "I mean, no not really. I heard you. Kathryn was a bit loud, don't you think?" She tried to make a joke out of it, afraid that DJ might find her nosy but DJ was actually relieved that she knows because he wouldn't have to explain it to her.

"I didn't mean to hurt her, mom. I just didn't see that one coming."

"But you agreed to come here with her, isn't that supposed to count as something?"

DJ sighed. He couldn't understand himself either so how the hell is he supposed to explain everything to Mommy Min?

"I guess deep down, I knew. But I don't think I'm ready." He sighed. "Like, Kathryn and I will always be unfinished business. We didn't have any closure and I never knew why we broke up. I mean, I know why but..." He was rambling and it was making him uncomfortable. He looked at Mommy Min to see if she was still listening and she was. "...But I'm not really sure. And then 10 years later, I see her and it feels like this is the right time to make things right but is it really?"

He wasn't sure what to feel. Of course, he was happy that Kathryn wanted him. She didn't just needed him, she wanted him. And he's been longing to feel wanted for quite a long time. He's been waiting for 10 years for Kathryn to come back. But, they can't pick up where they left off, can they? It's not like Kathryn just went out to get tea in the middle of their make-up session or he just used the washroom to take a wee while they're watching a movie. Their situation wasn't that simple. She left in the middle of their relationship. You can say middle. They were teenagers and they had a long way to go. DJ was pretty vocal with his feelings for Kathryn and even off-camera he made sure that Kathryn felt special. She was everything he needed. He's as confused as the person reading this.